Supply 3ph to my garage.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We have 3ph coming into our cottage, didn't realise that before, anyway just had the meter changed as the last one failed, big problems for our electric supplier Igloo as they didn't have any commercial guys to work on 3ph..??

well... now that I know we have 3ph obviously I need it in my garage / workshop. 15m away.

Is this a straight forward job for a sparky or do I need to have Igloo back to make the connections..?

Thanks in advance..

db.

IMG_1232.jpg

Sponsored Links
By first glances, you do seem to have a 3 phase supply, however you appear to only have 2 phases in use.

left to right - 1= neutral/earth, 2= brown phase, 3= black phase, 4=grey phase (not in use)

You would need to check if it is true 3 phase supply, if so, you would need the grey phase checking for a fuse, then it will need connecting to the meter and a tail back out, then a suitable 3 phase isolator to then supply your 4 or 5 core swa to the garage

Not a straight forward job at all. Why do you think you want three phase in your garage?

Sponsored Links
With a subsequent larger electric bill I shouldn't wonder.

Thanks Conny, I running a single ph 3hp compressor at the moment and it running most of the time to keep up, my thinking is a larger compressor with a bigger receiver wouldn't need to run as long.. I can live with the set up I have just posting the question to see if it's worth the trouble or not. db.

Is it possible to mount a bigger receiver tank in order to hold more volume?
Not sure if it would really be worth it though as it would have to run longer to fill a bigger tank but would reduce the number of starts ups.

Been pondering that idea too, then found a 3ph twin piston compressor which will do the job easily.. 7.5kw motor. I could also use an inverter which I have done in the past on a rolling machine, sold now.

Which brings me back to the start.. :)

i could be miles out but isnt the standing charges far far greater for use off a genuine 3 phase supply over a single phase supply ??

i could be miles out but isnt the standing charges far far greater for use off a genuine 3 phase supply over a single phase supply ??
Standing charge is the same for 1ph or 3ph. As is cost of electrickery.

It was a few decades ago in some areas.
Not any more.
I alway thought it was and had a pleasant surprise recently when we were involved with converting from 1ph to 3ph [on an existing 3ph head]. Even the meter fit was free but they refused to supply the 4 pole isolator.
20180216_143713.jpg

worth checking other points like limiting who you can swap to to get the best price or as said above actual unit costs

I'm paying the same (standing charge and unit price) for the 3 phase supply to my workshop as I'm paying for the domestic electricity.

Originally there was a price difference.

What you probably find is you will have route the cables feeding your garage externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back