Supply isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would anybody want to ask their electricity supply company to fit a dp isolator between the meter and the CU?

Sponsored Links
Well the obvious answer is a matter of common sense, it makes things a lot easier for DIYer or professional alike to be able to isolate the incomer without interferring with the meter or the fuse head.

My question was a bit tounge-in-cheek.

I did read through the other thread, and quite surprised to see East Midlands board mentioned, because there lies the reason for the question.

I have just bought a house, which although rewired a few years ago, has a CU dating back to I guess the seventies, with mcbs that push in to where the fuses used to be, and a whole list of undesirable features (like the bathroom bonding cables being connected with 2000 mm2 air conductor).

I phoned the supplier, and was told they would fit the isolator free of charge, but first they want a compliance certificate..

I may be going senile early, but I don't see the logic that, as obviously to my mind it would make work safer if the isolator was fitted first.

Sponsored Links
I think what they are saying is:

To RECONNECT the supply after the isolater is fitted, they want a cert. My advise would be take the main fuse out and proceed with the work, then call them out when the work is complete to have the isolater fitter (For any future modifications) and also the fuse resealed.

Otherwise they will come out, disconnect, fit and isolater, then refuse to reconect until the work is completed.

Kimba said:
I think what they are saying is:

To RECONNECT the supply after the isolater is fitted, they want a cert. My advise would be take the main fuse out and proceed with the work, then call them out when the work is complete to have the isolater fitter (For any future modifications) and also the fuse resealed.

Otherwise they will come out, disconnect, fit and isolater, then refuse to reconect until the work is completed.

Yes, I see how you read it, and I'm sure you're right, but there isn't much logic in the fact that the supply can continue, even if it may be dodgy, but to fit an isolator, it then needs to be seen to.

Any way, great fun today, fitted a new consumer unit, checked everything before reconnecting on and found a direct short between the neutral and earth on the socket ring (only one for the whole house).

Didn't stop anything working with the old board, as there was no earth leakage.

After a long search, and pulling up floorboards, found and old 13A socket floating around between the floorboards and ceiling. (the house had walls taken out to merge bedrooms, but it has been rewired since then).

In the process, found unearthed sockets, screws so loose that the cables come out of the socket as you take them away from the wall, one live wire right out of a socket so there was no ring.

Scary thing is that had I not have fitted the new consumer unit and tested, would never have known anything was wrong. (until too late maybe)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back