Supply of Goods & Services Act

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can any one help with where I stand as a sole trader, all the info I have seen relates to the customers rights.

The customer supplied the kitchen, worktops and all the other stuff, I just fitted the kitchen.

Theres a problem with some of the cupboards and worktops, I'm quite willing to solve the problems but not willing to pay for replacements.

Sponsored Links
Has your installation method caused the problems or have you installed good which were defective?

I'd say that the goods were defective, but they were checked before and after installation.

If the goods were supplied by the customer then it is up to him to take it up with his supplier. His contract is with the supplier.

Having said that...............

I'd say that the goods were defective, but they were checked before and after installation.

:confused:
You do have a duty of care and if you have knowingly fitted defective goods then you may have some explaining to do. :confused:

Sponsored Links
The worktops have been mitred and one has started to swell, bearing in mind it has be down just over a month. I've fitted many kitchens and never had this problem happen so quickly.

The worktops have been mitred and one has started to swell, bearing in mind it has be down just over a month. I've fitted many kitchens and never had this problem happen so quickly.

I don't see how this can be down to you then, unless they are swelling due to for example a leak from plumbing that you did.

Hi might be a stupid question but did you glue and colour fill the tops ? Thus preventing water damage

Yes, I aways seal the edges first then use Colorfill Worktop Compound before clamping the two joints together.

Even if i didn't I can't see how it could have swelled so much in a little over a month.

hi were the tops laminate , might just need to contact the suppliers and get them on site to have a look , that way if they are defective the blame is taken away from yourself

This is a good example of customers thinking they can save a few bob by getting the gear themselves. I would suggest if you supplied labour only then you do not do any remedial work FOC.

Customers complain when we charge more for material than they can get it for, and this is a classic example of where it will come back and bite them. If you had supplied material and added a mark up as you should do
you would contact the supplier and sort out the problem between you FOC for the customer. However, now the customer has to sort out new material you are not being paid.

I have done labour only a few times (plumbing and heating) as the customer wants to save cash but it was 100% clear from the outset that all I was liable for was labour and workmanship, and if called back to a problem i would call back and inspect and if my fault i would fix FOC.

If however a revist was due to faulty material then I expect the customer to sort it with the supplier, and I would invoice £60 call out and subsequent visit to repair.

An example was a B&Q bathroom suite which had a leaking bath trap, about 6 weeks after the install.I got a call saying there was water coming out of the kitchen light,I visited, checked it out and found the trap thread stripped,( i had measured up the job and they bought all the material and had bought all crappy waste fittings) told them they needed a new trap, and suggested a better quality one.

I prefer McAlpine and suggested i go and get one and renew it on the first visit for the £60 plus cost of trap, (cause i'm so nice) and they could take up the problem with the supplier, if not i wanted my £60 anyway so the guy said ok he grumbled a bit that the £60 well wiped out the savings he made by supplying, i said correctomundo, and if he had any other prob with the cheap stuff he bought then he would have the same problem again.

In effect he would have been better letting me buy the stuff as suggested, i had to laugh when i thought back as i said i would supply all the stuff for £50, he said no he would supply, superb, what people forget is that when we supply we take responsibility for the gear as well, so we end up fighting with suppliers and the customer gets someone to fix for nothing.

We are absolutely correct putting something on material purchase for warranty and purchasing hassle

Yes, I aways seal the edges first then use Colorfill Worktop Compound before clamping the two joints together.

Even if i didn't I can't see how it could have swelled so much in a little over a month.

Was the joint near a sink ? how did you seal the edges ? to be totally honest if its swelled its your joint thats failed waters got in. The best that you can hope for is they buy new worktops and you fit for free.

Colorfil is for filling the final clamped up joint not to put in the joint and clamp up. I subbie for a national company theres different methods but lots of guys fill the joint with silicone (clear) and clamp up and remove the squeezed out excess.

Colorfil is for filling the final clamped up joint not to put in the joint and clamp up.

Oh but it is, it's exactly what it says on the tube, i suppose clear silicone is a hell of a lot cheaper and that your colourfil tubes would last alot longer if you just smeared a bit along the join.

when i join worktops together i have been taught that you smear the colourfill over the top third of the depth of both joins and clamp up.
you will not find any silicone anywhere on joins but around the sink and plenty of it.

after looking at kitchens that have been fitted the same way over 15 years old i can say that it is the right way.

out of curiosity to the guys who do use silicone on the joins aswell as colourfill do you wait until the silicone has cured then use the colourfill or just put both on at the same time as i am quite sure they both have different curing times.

Sponsored Links
Back