Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I get one ?

I need a supply putting to a barn in a field.
There is a wooden pole in there carrying electricity to the adjacent property
In Herefordshire.
Who do I speak to ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, superb links.
Any examples of the deep-pocketedness required?

Sponsored Links

It depends, on many many things.
Particularly how far the barn is from the DNO's network.

It will be thousands of pounds and you will have to provide the ground works.

I am assuming that you want a new supply with meter etc. I didn't get a reply to my earlier post.
Is it a new supply uou want, or an addition to your existing supply. The requirements, who does it and the cost will depend on the answer to those question. As will be the guidance you get here.

As said you need to speak to the DNO as they are the people who will do the connection and the only one who can give you a price.

The job is divided into contestable work which either you or the DNO can do and non-contestable which only the DNO can do.

The more contestable work you do the lower the cost.

Is the supply on the pole 230 volt or 11,000 volt ? ( if the cable going to the adjacent property goes directly to the house then is it most likely 230 v but in there is a transformer thenn it is 11,000 volts )

If you do all the contestable work, ( trench, duct etc ) and the overhead is 230 volt then the cost could be as low as £ 1,000.

Or if it is 11,000 volts then the cost will be a lot higher if you have to pay for the 11,000 to 230 volt transformer to be installed.

IMPORTANT Who owns the field, if you do not own it free hold you may need to negotiate with the owner for a wayleave for the cable and access rights for maintaining the cables etc in future.

Thanks for the info-Ive been outr in said field today paddling around in semi frozen mud.
I will have to apply and get a quote.
I own the field -the adjacent properties domestic 230v supply crosses it (like a spur)
All I want it for is lighting and domestic power tools-and the all important kettle!!
I was hoping they could tap off the pole to the barn or even better just down the pole to a concrete box nearby that I could build to house the meter and an isolator.
I would then trench my own armoured cable to the barn.
That would be a minimal amount of work for them, if possible
It would be Western Power -they renewed all the wooden poles in the autumn so it should be sturdy enough.

IMPORTANT Who owns the field, if you do not own it free hold you may need to negotiate with the owner for a wayleave for the cable and access rights for maintaining the cables etc in future.

For a DNO cable this is the responsibility of the DNO

If there is capacity on the existing TX, and the cable is a short run (just a drop down the pole to a purpose built, weather proof shed), then it could just be a few hundred quid.

The only way to know is to get them out to price it.

That would suit me just fine as I can then develop the site to my needs at my own pace.

My problem is that I know what I want but dont know how to get there.
They want detailed plans in advance but I dont know where the supply would come from.

Ive had a look today at the local supply layout.
The hub of the village is supplied from a pair of wooden poles with a grey metal box up on a beam between them.Lots of cable and glass baubles
Im guessing this is a transformer??
This is in line of sight from where I would want my meter.

Each properties feeds radiate from this structure
Except one -the one Im interested in.Typical.
It goes from the double poles to a single wooden pole where it breaks out and feeds two properties.
It then goes on to cross my field (using the pole I want to break out from) and then on to a third wooden pole where it terminates at the final property.
Im wondering would there be enough capacity left for my supply or would they insist it came directly from the double poles structure.

In that case it would have to cross the road and some telephone lines.
Im guessing by the spacing of the other wooden poles that I would need an additional pole installing in between.

And putting cart before pony -where would I get the proper plastic box for the meter?

[/img]

WPD will supply you with the meterbox and anything else required (hockey stick for example).

It sounds like you could have your supply from the pole, it is unlikely to be undersized. Pics?

Get WPD out, they do come to site to quote too. You don't have to fill in one of their multi page applications where you have to decide everything, especially on something like this.

Where in WPD's area are you?

Sounding promising -thanks
In HR1 Herefordshire.

Ive got a fair few photos of electricity poles I'd love to share (yawn!) -Ive left the wretched camera at the site so bear with me...[/img]

No where near me then! I forget how large the WPD area is these days! I would of put you in contact with one of the local offices if you were in one my areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back