Support your local registered gas engineer

and the other double THAT price! that's not the manufacturer...

What about when you buy direct from the manufactuer?

On a side note I have just come back from installing a load of new smart controls for a house heating system.

When I powered it all back on I wondered why the boiler kicked in immediately.

30 seconds later I found that the installers hadn't removed the link wire in the boiler control box.

Dicks.

Don't know if it was a big boy, or a local firm.

But even worse was that BG had been servicing it for several years; and not a single person noticed until I went there.

im not sure about other manufacturers to be honest but the one I know you cant buy directly from them anyway and you have to use the merchant... an example I can give is a PCB for an appliance... one merchant had it up at approx. £150+ VAT and another had it at over £400 inc vat. its all down to mark up... it was exactly the same part and the manufacturer would charge the same for each.

That sounds about the usual for BG!

How long had they been in?

I can probably guarantee that the installer would say "it didn't say that in the book" - where it actually did but via a wiring diagram that required a bit of logic and sense/working out... instead of "you need to remove the link, below is a pretty picture of a unicorn to help you understand this"

Sponsored Links
im not sure about other manufacturers to be honest but the one I know you cant buy directly from them anyway and you have to use the merchant... ... .... it was exactly the same part and the manufacturer would charge the same for each.

That statement, with respect, demonstrates how little you must know on the subject in hand.

The boiler I saw this morning was around 4 or 5 years old from what I can tell. And it certainly does tell you how to connect the controls to the system - not that it would be patently obvious to both an installer and the service engineer that the boiler was firing when there was no call for heat. Not to mention the link wire in the appliances only input from external controls.

In fact - I have just looked at the manual... not only does it say explicitly to remove the link. It even has a flirking great picture of the link being removed. I think my 5 year old could wire it from those instructions.

Shame the rest of the manual isn't as good :LOL:.

im not sure about other manufacturers to be honest but the one I know you cant buy directly from them anyway and you have to use the merchant... ... .... it was exactly the same part and the manufacturer would charge the same for each.

That statement, with respect, demonstrates how little you must know on the subject in hand.

The boiler I saw this morning was around 4 or 5 years old from what I can tell. And it certainly does tell you how to connect the controls to the system - not that it would be patently obvious to both an installer and the service engineer that the boiler was firing when there was no call for heat. Not to mention the link wire in the appliances only input from external controls.

In fact - I have just looked at the manual... not only does it say explicitly to remove the link. It even has a flirking great picture of the link being removed. I think my 5 year old could wire it from those instructions.

Shame the rest of the manual isn't as good :LOL:.

haha yeah I can believe it mate! its quite amazing sometimes what people choose not to read, and more amazing how they don't understand what it should/shouldn't do when you power it up. for example (like you said) firing without demand... but they are engineers after all...

I dont take anything personally dont worry, but I do know a fair bit about the subject.

Im happy for people to disagree with me and I wont take offence in any way, as long as people appreciate another point of view.

I was implying that some of us can buy direct from certain manufacturer's and the prices are certainly not significantly cheaper than getting from merchants.

In fact one that I can think of charges MORE. :eek: :confused:

Sponsored Links
I was implying that some of us can buy direct from certain manufacturer's and the prices are certainly not significantly cheaper than getting from merchants.

In fact one that I can think of charges MORE. :eek: :confused:

True mate. But I suppose its a bit like a customer being to go to our boiler supplier for them to get the same product cheaper than we can. On the other hand we are trying to cut out the middle man.

James.

On a side note I have just come back from installing a load of new smart controls for a house heating system.

30 seconds later I found that the installers hadn't removed the link wire in the boiler control box.

Dicks.

But even worse was that BG had been servicing it for several years; and not a single person noticed until I went there.

im not sure about other manufacturers to be honest but the one I know you cant buy directly from them anyway and you have to use the merchant... an example I can give is a PCB for an appliance... one merchant had it up at approx. £150+ VAT and another had it at over £400 inc vat. its all down to mark up... it was exactly the same part and the manufacturer would charge the same for each.

I can probably guarantee that the installer would say "it didn't say that in the book" - where it actually did but via a wiring diagram that required a bit of logic and sense/working out... instead of "you need to remove the link, below is a pretty picture of a unicorn to help you understand this"

And which boiler manufacturer do you work for mate?? Cause regardless, most boilers that are now sold in the UK are a pile of plastic junk. So please don't try to defend your employer; the product is sh.te, the way they treat customers is shocking & the technical support leaves a lot to be desired!!

I'm amazed at how many of you guys buy spares from national merchants!! When you consider what you can buy online & most importantly, what great stock, support & price you get from your local indie Parts Suppliers.

We have a small parts supplier here in Glasgow's Govan area & they're one of the best suppliers in the country, with a friendly knowledgeable staff they're great. You go into a national & the staff are clueless, in fairness it's not their fault, it's a national, poor service & pizzing off customers is the way they roll.

Dicks.

And which boiler manufacturer do you work for mate?? Cause regardless, most boilers that are now sold in the UK are a pile of plastic junk. So please don't try to defend your employer; the product is sh.te, the way they treat customers is shocking & the technical support leaves a lot to be desired!!

Its not a case of defending anyone... its just putting a different opinion forward... who said I work for a manufacturer?

most boilers sold in the U.K, just to enlighten you slightly... that would also cover a lot of boilers sold all over the world.

The technical support teams from (some) manufacturers are incredible and what they have to deal with should be recognised as ridiculous in most cases.

Perhaps people should get out of their own shoes once in a while and put themselves on the other side of the fence...

anyway... bored of this one now. this is my last reply

Hey piers why were you black balled from joining the combustion chamber? , seems you applied but we're not allowed in?

Naughty naughty implying you were gas safe when clearly not. :eek: :LOL:

What is that tune again????? 'first impressions are lasting impressions oh yea'........ :D

Dicks.

Its not a case of defending anyone... its just putting a different opinion forward... who said I work for a manufacturer?

most boilers sold in the U.K, just to enlighten you slightly... that would also cover a lot of boilers sold all over the world.

The technical support teams from (some) manufacturers are incredible and what they have to deal with should be recognised as ridiculous in most cases.

Perhaps people should get out of their own shoes once in a while and put themselves on the other side of the fence...

anyway... bored of this one now. this is my last reply

Oh well, that's it then.....if you're bored then that's an end of that!!..... :LOL:

Hey piers why were you black balled from joining the combustion chamber? , seems you applied but we're not allowed in?

What is that tune again????? 'first impressions are lasting impressions oh yea'........ :D

Pfffftttt!! Imagine anyone trying to get into the combustion chamber pot by devious means???!!..... :eek: :LOL:

I never chased it up mate actually... and to be honest I don't really have much interest in going in there, its scary enough to see what some people say in the normal section... I know what my qualifications are I don't need to justify them to you or anyone else on here.

No it is about them using the information we are forced to part with in order to take OUR customers away from us.

We are the customer of the boiler manufacturers. Not the home owner.

We went out and found them nurtured them, suggested the best solution for them. They manufacturers are dishonestly using that information provided by us as nothing more than a proof of purchase in order gain an unfair advantage.

It is not complicated. But you certainly seem to be struggling with the concept. :rolleyes:

im not struggling with your concept at all... I get exactly what you are saying and partly I agree... however you seem to be very narrow minded in your approach and you are missing out on the larger picture.

Manufacturers can offer a great after sales service, due to being experts, having the parts readily available and being able to offer great prices for certain repairs. Whether you like it or not... this is the case.

I get what you are saying about the installation etc and using those details but you are missing out on so much.

If you buy a car from your local garage... does that mean you cant buy parts from the main dealer? does that mean you cant get a dealer to service it or carry out repairs? are those car manufacturers trying to screw over local garages? not at all! they are offering a service as experts on the product...

I get what you mean about new products etc (I PERSONALLY don't see the big fuss) but look at the bigger picture!

It appears to me that some people just don't like a bit of competition in the market... and those doing well out of it seem to be the targets on the firing range...

could manufacturers come on here and have a dig at installers who do a s*** job and give their products a bad name? so many of them suffer because of poor quality installers... but its the manufacturer who gets the stick for it.

when an "engineer" (I use the term lightly) is on site blowing up PCB's because they don't know their a**e from their multimeter, filling them with sludge, wiring them up wrong, loosing parts, they don't put their hands up and say they got it wrong... they blame the manufacturer...

so much blame in one direction...

Manufacturers have considerable resources to train installers both in their boilers and associated skills such as optimal system design, but instead they spend their profits on BMWs fit the sales staff and smaller boiler companies.. It's like they are not in business to satisfy their clients but to become bigger for no real reason other than the a pudding match between Hr Viessmann, Vaillant and Bosch!!

And for those who don't know manufacturer charge for training on their products, with the notable exception of Vokera..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back