Supporting a desk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon

I just ordered 2 bits of kitchen worktop that I'm going to use as the surface of a desk. It'll have multiple monitors and some studio equipment

It'll be in the corner of the room, so I was planning on screwing 2x lengths of wood into the wall and then resting (I'll screw it down, or up) the desk top on those. The red lines illustrate where they're going to go:

TFuh4vC.jpg

I'll then use 2x legs as illustrated in yellow to support the other side

The join in the middle is a butt joint

I'd like advice on how to support the middle section. Ideally there'll be no leg to get in the way when I'm sitting there, but I'm not sure that the join will be strong enough without some kind of support

Maybe a shelf type bracket on the back wall or something?

Your advice please!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've just joined this forum (looking advice myself) so here goes to getting shot down....
If you're using worktop joining bolts cut into the underside of the worktop, you might consider also glueing and screwing on a large piece of plywood to the underside.
You don't want a leg going vertically down from the corner, how about a support running at 45degs into the corner at the floor (hope I made sense there).
James

Gallows style supports are certainly a possibility James - and welcome to the madhouse :eek: -I guess it depends on whether Simon intends to kneel or even stand on the worktops for any reason. Hell of a weight, they are too!
A timber brace at 45 deg to the join at under worktop level could also help.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Cheers Js!

James - welcome! A large piece of plywood the same size as the desk top? Or just supporting the middle?

I thought the gallows type bracket might be the way forward, but how to fix it on? The building is a log cabin, so I can screw the bracket into the wall, or on the floor; but what shape would it need to be at the screwing in point?

John - wouldn't need to kneel or stand on it, but wouldn't want to always be fearful of it collapsing!

See previous question in relation to your 45 deg suggestion. I'm a complete novice, in case it wasn't already obvious :)

Imagine a timber frame, fixed to the underside of the tops......and then more timber at an angle to skirting board level (screwed / glued) could give the support you want, but of course it will interfere with under desk storage, if you need some.
There's no need to reinforce all of the tops underside, just where the joint is, allowing for a good overlap.
Are you dead set against a peg leg? The top of it could support both tops, when positioned on the join.

Why not just span a steel angle (say 50x50) at 45° between the two wall battens (in blue below) so that it sits under the front corner of both lengths of desk.

desk angle.jpg

That's a good idea! How would I secure it? Screw up into the wood from underneath?

It's 27mm thick so deep enough for a screw and hopefully strong enough to not bend, with the above in mind

No need for a bracket in that case?

Also John, by peg leg you just mean straight down to the floor? I wanted to avoid banging my legs :D

Freddy's suggestion is what I meant in my second post - only he explained it better!
Steel angle, maybe 6mm thick, is as strong as hell, and easy to fix to the tops with self tapping screws or whatever.
A peg leg is telescopic and can fix to the floor, and to the top with screws.

Provided your wall battens were deep enough, say 3x2, you could just cut a out a rebate in each batten so that the angle could rest on/in it, if you get my gist?

Provided your wall battens were deep enough, say 3x2, you could just cut a out a rebate in each batten so that the angle could rest on/in it, if you get my gist?

I do get your jist. I haven't sorted the batten out yet, but can easily make it that deep and make the relevant cut

This seems like the way to go, thank you sir!

you dont mention what the span is ??
or do you:rolleyes:

I don't mention what the span is. What is 'the span' ? :)

the unsupported length
from wall to end off each part
also need to know the worktop depth iff its much different to 2ft/609mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back