Supporting loft purlins with struts...angle issues

Assuming you accept the strut at an angle is acceptable :cautious:, if gravity is acting downwards wouldn't that strut need to be the other way round , that is with the notch out of the wood at the top so the purlin bears on to the ' meat ' of the wood :?::!:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Assuming you accept the strut at an angle is acceptable :cautious:, if gravity is acting downwards wouldn't that strut need to be the other way round , that is with the notch out of the wood at the top so the purlin bears on to the ' meat ' of the wood :?::!:
Ideally, yes, but then I should really be living in the Bahamas and not Manchester.

if gravity is acting downwards wouldn't that strut need to be
That's interesting, I'd always assumed in a triangulated roof, the purlins and struts were to prevent the rafters deflecting rather than support them against gravity. The ceiling ties wouldn't really stretch so the point supported by the purlin would not go straight down but keep the same distance from the rafter feet. Hence the force would act perpendicular to the rafters rather than downwards.
In a roof with a ridge beam or similar i understand that all the forces would be vertical, and i don't think it's clear what kind of roof this is (as a diyer!)

Any thought I'd be interested in whether that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
Good , so you agree ,can you tell John D (y)
I'm not sure if you're mixing me up with another more popular member, but feel free to explain it yourself as I'm interested in learning from others

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back