Surface mount cupboard door switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking for a surface-mount push-to-break cupboard door switch. I bought a cheapo one on eBay, but it's no good. The terminals are exposed and there's no cable grip and I don't have time/space or inclination to make my own enclosure for it!

With more googling, I've found these examples, but I can't tell from the pictures if they're good enough for the job - does anyone know? Or know of an alternative?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Sponsored Links
they are called micro switches

they will need an enclosure what ever you do as they don't have a cord grip

you may off course find a micro with a grip but then it probably wont look nice
although if its 12v i suspect you may be ok without a cord grip but not sure

With more googling, I've found these examples, but I can't tell from the pictures if they're good enough for the job - does anyone know?
They are fine. Supposedly not for inductive loads, but I'm using them to switch T4 fluorescent lights (2 per switch), and no problems for some years now.

Lack of cord grip is easily resolved by clipping the cable to the frame.

Be aware that the spring on the plunger is surprisingly strong - you need to get the switches very close to the hinged side of the doors or they will push them open. If it's not too late to incorporate them, recessed switches set into the jamb would be better.

Although called micro switches you may get better results google for a "Limit Switch" switches like the "HONEYWELL S&C - GLLA04A1B - LIMIT SWITCH, SPDT" will take a gland and so are of the type which does not have exposed terminals. However do look a little on the industrial side. Does that really matter inside the cupboard?

Sponsored Links
Have a search for "jeanie switch"

They are the best door switches I've ever used. Most electrical wholesalers should keep them as a stock item.

Whoops missed that.

The ones in the first link are the ones I use. You'll need some 1" no.6 screws to fix them to the door frame.

The Jeanie ones are stocked by most wholesalers, as mentioned.

Nothing wrong with them, they work fine, certainly on my understairs cupboard!

prod-1416-300-300.jpg

I would always put them close to the hinge side so they turn the light off even if the door is slightly ajar.

The cord grip is the white bit at the bottom with the two screws.

It looks very "weak" for a mains voltage device, It should have its rating on the case. That said a lot of modern stuff is made for the lowest cost and just about meets the minimum requirements. :cry:

And no ( apparent ) snap action, If the contacts are opened very slowly the arc between contacts will last for some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back