SWA cable - best to earth at both ends ?

And did they tell you which regulation(s) make that a requirement?

Did they give you an explanation in electrical engineering terms as to why the earth should not be exported?

Did they explain why deliberately choosing to give all the circuits in your outbuilding a Zs orders of magnitude greater than they would otherwise have was a good thing to do?

Sponsored Links
hmmm i.v just been in touch with the nic and its right out buildings need there own earth ans should not be joined to the house . if the outbuilding is seperate from the house and it has a fuseboard in there

That's just so wrong it is almost laughable, if it wasn't for the fact that yoiu seem to genuinely beleive that statement.

Donglebang, notwithstanding that this is an ancient post.: You've made a recent

Sponsored Links
Which new regs? I have been taught to BS7671:2008, and like to think I have a good understanding of them.

Can YOU tell me which regulation(s) exporting an earth to an out building contravenes?

If you cant quote a reg then just explain why a rod in the ground is safer than a proper exported, reliable earth. I wonder why they ever introduced pme (tn-c-s) and why they upgrade tt supplies to it?

hmmm i.v just been in touch with the nic and its right out buildings need there own earth ans should not be joined to the house . if the outbuilding is seperate from the house and it has a fuseboard in there

Still incorrect. There are some circumstances when an earth rod is preferable or even a requirement, but you don't need to TT *every* outbuilding.

if it is an out building with its own fuse board you do ok you ring them

Why would anybody want to ring them?

They are wrong, it's as simple as that.

And by following their advice you become wrong, it's as simple as that.

It isn't possible for anyone here to prove that there is no regulation which requires what you say except by pasting the entire 300+ pages and saying "Read that - see? No such regulation".

OTOH, anyone who believes that there is such a regulation can prove it very quickly and easily by just pasting the few lines which make it up.

So why don't you just do that?

Dongler, aside from you being completely incorrect on this one, an important point that you must remember is that the NIC don't make the rules, they are simply a private commercial company.

To play Devil's advocat for a second there are instances where a DNO can prohibit the export of a PME earth and they would probably use ESQCR as their statutory instruction.
Mind you I haven't digested ESQCR for a long time so can't remember if I have seen anything in there about it (other than caravan hook-ups, petrol stations and the like)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back