SWA Cable - entry to house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

need to bury some 6mm SWA cable soon. Regarding it entering the house, I had planned to run it up the gable end of the house, thru the loft to the consumer unit.

I live in a white pebbledashed bungalow, so was thinking of using white pvc conduit, on the gable end, to house the swa. Would this be appropriate, or is there a better way to do it?

Cheers,

Johnnypanic

Sponsored Links
Sounds reasonable, but you may struggle getting a 6.0mm² SWA up a conduit, and bent through the wall at the top (without exceeding the maximum permitted bending radii)

You could gland the SWA into an apropriate enclosure, and joint it into t&e in there, and run that up the wall in white PVC conduit, using an end box to take the cable through the wall.

You could always cleat the SWA straight up the wall and paint it white to match the wall.

Thanks for that. Never thought about painting it white :oops: Might well be the best solution, as I'm thinking of running two cables (wife's talking about a log cabin :rolleyes: ).

Really prefer to have a metal junction box near the cu, always the man for a belt and braces approach.

Apologises for any typos, just in from a night out, so keyboard skills might be a wee bit off :LOL: :oops:

Johnnypanic

To get the bend into the house. Gland the cable off into a white stop end box. Then take the sheathed cable through the back of the box through a drilled hole into the loft space then change to T&E there. It will be easier to make any future terminations in the loft rather than up a ladder. It will also be less likely to be affected by water.

Sponsored Links
You can also get white plastic trunking up to 100mm X 50mm or bigger.

Wont look brilliant, but would think neater than TWO surface clipped painted swa cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back