Swapping an internal bathroom with a spare bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, id like to swap the above rooms around as this solves a multitude of problems which basically mean that if bathroom were to remain id still need to redo the bathroom completely with a new suite and tiling etc.... so if i can chnage them round and give my daughter a bigger bedroom in the process that would be fab. The current spare room is big enough for a bath sink and loo, but barely bug enough for a growing girls bedroom, room for a single bed and not much else lol x

The current bedroom is above the kitchen so has plumbing available relatively easily and is on the corner of the house so 2x external walls available with waste pipes running up that side of the house underground... i dont think too much issue ref possibility here? Dont know if any building regs or planning needed, will be needing a new different window though.

The current bathroom changing to a bedroom is where im not sure about legalities etc.... i would be putting a window or glass bricks in top part of wall, upstairs hall window is floor to ceiling with lots of light... natural light i think might be the concern? Im not sure if there would be other requirements....

So in the main, do i need planning or buliding regs or something, who do i contact in the first instance to find everything out that i need to know in order to plan and make decisions etc?
Thank you in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Creation of the new bathroom, new window and drainage modifications do require building regs. approval. The easiest route may be to just put in a building notice, which doesn't require plans, and then use reliable tradespeople advising them when you contract with them that the final installation will be subject to building inspection and anything they install that doesn't comply they will have to amend. Otherwise you will need to draw up detailed plans for approval.

Hi mrrusty, thx for your advice.... what exactly is a building notice and how do I go about this? I’m not sure who I should contact for my building regs people.... is it my local council ? Thx

Basically, there are two ways of getting building regs approval. 1) pay fee, put in full plans, get approval, do work, get sign off. Depending on work, the fee may be split between plans submission and inspections. 2) pay full fee, just submit a notice - no plans. Intermediate inspections covered by initial fee, do work, get sign off. The risk with a notice is you must have trust in your builder to do it right - if the building inspector hasn't seen plans and doesn't like the work on inspection, it has to be done again. Advantage of a notice is that you don't have to make detailed plans, and you can "make it up as you go along" provided the work is compliant.

Look at your local councils building regs charges, and all should be clear.

Sponsored Links
And the disadvantage of a notice is that if you don't know what to do or how to conform to the required regulations then you are stumped, and you can't expect the building inspector to design your work for you as they are there to check that work is correct and not design it.

Sounds like to the OP needs advice from a surveyor or suchlike to tell her what regulations apply and what needs to be done to comply with them. Building regulations definitely, planning may apply for altering windows, local water bye laws and water authority permission may apply for new drainage connections.

A competent builder may know the required regulations, but you can't rely on it.

The big problem with this type of work is that at any future sale time, the work is scrutinized by any good surveyor as they tend to throw up lots of issues

The big problem with this type of work is that at any future sale time, the work is scrutinized by any good surveyor as they tend to throw up lots of issues

This can be an advantage of the "notice" route. I have a completion cert on my latest project on a notice, just received where it says "extension, floor, new window "and associated works" - the "associated works", never formally documented, covers a multitude of aspects now all signed off......

This can be an advantage of the "notice" route. I have a completion cert on my latest project on a notice, just received where it says "extension, floor, new window "and associated works" - the "associated works", never formally documented, covers a multitude of aspects now all signed off......

That's fine until the surveyor makes enquiries at the council to see exactly what work the certificate relates to, and compares it to what new and altered work is actually present.

That's fine until the surveyor makes enquiries at the council to see exactly what work the certificate relates to, and compares it to what new and altered work is actually present.

No you misunderstand what I meant. Not trying to hide anything. I meant a notice with associated works can mean just paying one fee at the beginning, without documenting everything in advance, and then getting everything signed off at the end. That's what I have done recently - everything above board.

I see.

Regardless, a notice is a massive risk for someone like the OP who does not know much about what to do, let alone how to do it.

Basically I agree with woody's comments on this , doing work under a building notice is always a bit of a risk and also, I am not sure whether you would be able to co-ordinate the work of different trades and make them responsible for complying with building regs . Might be best to employ a good small local builder who would take responsibility for carrying out the work in accordance with bldg. regs , whether done under a building notice or a Full Plans Submission.
Having approved plans means both you and the builder know what needs to be done to comply with regs before anything starts on site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back