Swapping out an LED spotlight for a pendant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to hang a pendant in place of an LED spotlight and I'm confused by the wiring arrangement. I'm used to the simple one live, one neutral and one earth setup but this has two of each:

(not the best picture, I know)

I assume it's because it's a) on a dual switch system and/or b) part of a collection of LED spotlights on a ring. On the existing LED fitting as per the pic each pair of cables goes into one terminal block but this doesn't work on the new fitting.

I've looked through the wiki (e.g. here and here) but I'm not sure any of the diagrams match this setup. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
That's the one from the first Wiki link I included and I thought it could work but I've only got two main cables. I'm not sure how to match up the diagrams on that page with my setup...

I know; that's why I said this here. :)

IF
this is the only light fitting operated by the two switches just ignore one of the top two cables in the diagram.
One of the cables which connects to neutral.
upload_2016-7-14_14-43-40.png

IF there is more than one light fitting operated by the two switches then you had better wait until we can see your picture.

Sponsored Links
I know; that's why I said this here. :)
Sorry, I'm not following you on this - the link went to the main page... (n)

But... I can confirm that there are a series of LED spotlights all controlled by the same two switches. :) What picture do you need to see to help with this?

@TTC

Some pics I took before I removed the old light:

IMG_3524.JPG

IMG_3526.JPG

@Gerrydelasel

That's effectively it, assuming the joins are just there for illustration? The new pendant obviously has a standard chocblock but it would be very hard to fit the two sets of cables directly into it. I thought about wiring it as below but wasn't comfortable restoring power with it like this:

IMG_3533.JPG

Sorry, I'm not following you on this - the link went to the main page... (n)
How odd, given that the link in EFLI's post IS to the right page....
At the risk of embarrassing an elder that's what I said...
the link went to the main page...
As I'd already linked to this page in my initial post I didn't see what he was referring to.

He then posted an amended version of one of the diagrams from that page which clarified things.

Thanks for your feedback though. ;)

The new pendant obviously has a standard chocblock but it would be very hard to fit the two sets of cables directly into it.
First thing is to try replacing it with a larger piece - it may very well only be attached by being screwed onto the metal tab which earths the body, and can easily be unscrewed and swapped.

But it must be really tiny if you can't get two conductors into each terminal - so much so that the phrase "not fit for purpose" comes to mind. Is the problem simply that the existing conductors are bent and twisted? What size are the cables?

I thought about wiring it as below but wasn't comfortable restoring power with it like this:View attachment 101987
As long as your piece of choc-block ends up inside the cup of the light that's fine, but you'd probably find it a lot easier to get it all tucked away if you use flex, or even 3 cores from some flex, instead of that short piece of twin & earth.

I was confirming that out of your two "heres", this "here" - was the right one but you have to follow the instructions in reverse.

The new pendant obviously has a standard chocblock but it would be very hard to fit the two sets of cables directly into it.
First thing is to try replacing it with a larger piece - it may very well only be attached by being screwed onto the metal tab which earths the body, and can easily be unscrewed and swapped.

But it must be really tiny if you can't get two conductors into each terminal - so much so that the phrase "not fit for purpose" comes to mind. Is the problem simply that the existing conductors are bent and twisted? What size are the cables?
It does come off as you describe. In my (admittedly fairly limited experience) it is a pretty standard size for a pendant as usually they only have to deal with a single set of 3 wires coming in. Is it as straightforward as just connecting each pair of incoming cables into the relevant terminal block on the pendant?

I thought about wiring it as below but wasn't comfortable restoring power with it like this:View attachment 101987
As long as your piece of choc-block ends up inside the cup of the light that's fine, but you'd probably find it a lot easier to get it all tucked away if you use flex, or even 3 cores from some flex, instead of that short piece of twin & earth.
Is it essential to have the chocblock inside the cup of the light only there's not really any room in there (or won't be when I shorten the cable length). I have got a lot more t&e cable but I assume I'd be better off running it into a choc box rather than trying to tape up the new wiring?

So when you click on the link in "It'll be this here in reverse", what is the URL of the page you end up at?
I was confirming that out of your two "heres", this "here" - was the right one but you have to follow the instructions in reverse.
I get to the "Replacing a ceiling rose with a light that only has L/N/E connections" page but it was the in reverse comment I didn't follow (as well as the third cable which was later clarified).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back