Switch next to sink

Sponsored Links
The report doesn't seem to code the double socket on the right hand wall by the sink. Yet, if a persons body is the pivot point, they could touch either the switches slightly to the right of the sink or the double sockets on the right.
I'm not a spark but have some electrical knowledge and I would consider that report an attempt at getting some easy work.

The report doesn't seem to code the double socket on the right hand wall by the sink. Yet, if a persons body is the pivot point, they could touch either the switches slightly to the right of the sink or the double sockets on the right.
I'm not a spark but have some electrical knowledge and I would consider that report an attempt at getting some easy work.

@SimonH2 Where are you based. Anywhere near west London Heathrow area?

I would say the light fitting in the bathroom (a standard short combined rose) is outside the zone. While it’s a flat, the ceiling is regular height.

Wrt the kitchen. I think the sockets are considered far enough away from the sink.

the work is apparently 2 electricians for 1 day. I have new tenants moving in next week, so don’t have any choice as the laws say it must be fixed within 28 days of inspection.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
... the work is apparently 2 electricians for 1 day. ...
As has been said, it's very possible that no work at all should be required, but probably no more than an hour or two for one electrician 'at worst'.
...I have new tenants moving in next week, so don’t have any choice as the laws say it must be fixed within 28 days of inspection.
As you have suggested before, if there are currently no tenants, you can probably get off the present hook, but you have left very little time, since the only way I could see of doing that (other than paying for all the unnecessary work) would be to get a further, 'clean' or 'essentially clean' (i.e. few, if any C2s) EICR done before the tenancy starts - since otherwise you would be stuck with the legal requirement to have all the C2s 'remedied' within 28 days. In an ideal world, one would obviously argue about the current EICR, but you haven't got time for that, so you might have to resign yourself to paying for another.

Getting any EICR done by 'next week' might be next-to-impossible and if you just picked 'whoever could do it that quickly', there would be a risk that you might possibly end up with something as bad as (or worse than!) you are currently facing. Given time, if I were in your position I would probably want to show the existing EICR to anyone I was contemplating asking to do another one, and asking them if they would give C2s to any of the things mentioned - and selecting who to ask to do the EICR on that basis. However, you don't really have time to do that, so I really don't know what to suggest. Maybe others have some ideas.

Whatever, I hope that you manage to find some solution.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John its actually not about the cost. Its about all the unnecessary blanking off and moving of switches to inside cupboards etc.. along with the unsightly trunking.

Tenant was found in 3 days of going on the market.. Like I said its not the cost.

FYI C2s have to be rectified within 28 days.

Last edited:
Thanks John its actually not about the cost. Its about all the unnecessary blanking off and moving of switches to inside cupboards etc.. along with the unsightly trunking.
Fair enough. However, as has been said, that is essentially unnecessary work resulting from a requirement they have apparently invented themselves, for which there is no explicit regulatory basis.

However, unless you can get them somehow to 'withdraw' those C2s (or get another EICR, without them, done) before the tenant moves in, I can't see how you can avoid being obliged to have that (unnecessary) work undertaken with 28 days. C2s are C2s.
Tenant was found in 3 days of going on the market.. Like I said its not the cost.
With the benefit of hindsight, it may have been better for you to have got the issue of the electrical installation sorted out before putting it on the market!

As things have turned out, you have so little time left that few realistic options remain. I have to say, speaking personally, that even if I had more money that I knew what to do with I would, on principle, be disinclined to spend hundreds of pounds on unnecessary work as a result of being 'conned' by someone who at best is incompetent and is quite probably worse than that!

Kind Regards, John

@JohnW2 There seems to be an underlying assumption on your part (regardless of the inept wording of the new law), that the existing EICR has been submitted to the local authority who are now sitting watching a clock and ready to pounce. Is that actually the case. If MB just had another EICR done and it was clean, who would actually know about the first one who could actually cause trouble? Just interested... (I've probably misread what you said!)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened in Scotland after they introduced similar?

I have heard that the Scots do not like being ripped off.

@JohnW2 There seems to be an underlying assumption on your part (regardless of the inept wording of the new law), that the existing EICR has been submitted to the local authority who are now sitting watching a clock and ready to pounce. Is that actually the case.
It may not be the case but, as I've said, he has only got until 'next week', when tenants move in, to submit some EICR to the LA, and I doubt that he now has the time to get a 'new' one by then - so, if he therefore ends up having to submit the one he currently has, the LA's 28-day clock will start ticking ('retrospectively') from the date of that EICR in relation to all those silly C2s.
If MB just had another EICR done and it was clean, who would actually know about the first one who could actually cause trouble? Just interested... (I've probably misread what you said!)
See above. I agree with what you say but, as I have been saying, I don't think the OP any longer has enough time left to do that. As I recently wrote, he probably really ought to have got this all sorted out before he put the place on the (rental) market!

Kind Regards, John

Does anyone know what happened in Scotland after they introduced similar? ... I have heard that the Scots do not like being ripped off.
An interesting question, to which I don't know the answer.

However, I can guess. Whilst "the Scots do not like being ripped off", I somewhat doubt that there are (proportionately) any less people trying to rip them off in this regard than there are in England!

Kind Regards, John

@JohnW2 There seems to be an underlying assumption on your part (regardless of the inept wording of the new law), that the existing EICR has been submitted to the local authority who are now sitting watching a clock and ready to pounce. Is that actually the case. If MB just had another EICR done and it was clean, who would actually know about the first one who could actually cause trouble? Just interested... (I've probably misread what you said!)

I’m not required to supply the test to the LA unless they ask me to. My obligation is to supply the tenant. I also have to do a legionnaires risk assessment. Fortunately the mrs has a job as a building manager and my dad was an hvac engineer. So she can do it with some guidance.

at the end of the day all this unnecessary cost just goes on the rent so the tenant ends up paying.

It may not be the case but, as I've said, he has only got until 'next week', when tenants move in, to submit some EICR to the LA, and I doubt that he now has the time to get a 'new' one by then - so, if he therefore ends up having to submit the one he currently has, the LA's 28-day clock will start ticking ('retrospectively') from the date of that EICR in relation to all those silly C2s.
See above. I agree with what you say but, as I have been saying, I don't think the OP any longer has enough time left to do that. As I recently wrote, he probably really ought to have got this all sorted out before he put the place on the (rental) market!

Kind Regards, John
not true. From sec 3

c)supply a copy of that report to the local housing authority within 7 days of receiving a request in writing for it from that authority;

the LA's 28-day clock will start ticking ('retrospectively') from the date of that EICR in relation to all those silly C2s.

Is it not 28 days from the day on which a remedial notice is served?

(2) A remedial notice must—

(d)require the private landlord to take that action within 28 days beginning with the day on which the notice is served;

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back