Switch System

Maybe you could shell out on the latest regs book, OSG and guidance notes ?
I decided not to buy the latest regulations book as I have been retired for nine years.

If you can point out any advice that I have given since its publication which was rendered incorrect by that latest edition I should be grateful.

OSG and guidance notes are not necessary as they only confuse the situation by their inaccuracies and mistakes.

Sponsored Links
When you get it try 559.5.1.208

Another lash up
Is it the same as the previous 559.5.1.208?

"559.5.1.208 Consideration shall be given to the provision of the neutral conductor, at each switch position, to facilitate the installation of electronic switching devices."

Which brings us back to my reply when you stated that.
:?:
...and then what? Dismiss it if he wants to?

Does that mean I was right, after all?

Another way would be to have a central (mega) junction box (like the good old Hartley Octopus from years gone by) at some central point (or one per floor). From here run 3C+E to each switch & to each light point. You now have many options - a neutral can be made available at each switch point & a perm. live at each lighting point, if needed.

The downside is that this would need more cable but does give a very flexible system.

My first house had one of these just inside the loft hatch & another under the landing floor - made fault finding & alterations very easy.

Sponsored Links
I'm seeing some newbuilds with 3C&E between switch and light, gives all permutations.

Damn you!
:D
As it happens I added some wall lights in a newbuild a month or four back and from what I saw it seems the whole lighting circuit was 3C&E, whether deliberate or not I don't know but using the spare core from the switch to the wago box, gaining access to all parts of the ceiling via the downlighters and a metre long drill I was able to drill up from the light positions in the stud wall through the wall plate made the job easy.

I haven't got the latest ones but I wouldn't think they say anything about it being compulsory to have the supply at the switch; It certainly is nothing to do with safety.
You think correctly, since it doesn't say anything about anything being "compulsory" (see below)
Useful admission. That explains some of your dubious advice
... Well ….. you are using out of date regs to give advice - no ?
... Maybe you could shell out on the latest regs book, OSG and guidance notes ?
... When you get it try 559.5.1.208
That reg still merely says (as it does in the previous version you have) that "consecration should be given" to the provision of a neural at each switch postilion ("to facilitate the installation of electronic switching devices")

So far from "compulsion".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back