Switch wires - can they be the wrong way round?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just wired in a new celling rose, and all is working fine.

The only thing I'm not sure on is can you get the switch wires the wrong way round?

I have two red wires coming from the switch, to the rose. One red wire into the other 'live' block. One to the light fitting.

As I said all is working fine but just wanted to double check.

Any advice much appricated.

Cheers

Mark

Sponsored Links
With a simple ON-OFF switch then the two wires can go into the switch terminals either way round, like wise at the ceiling rose.

With a simple ON-OFF switch then the two wires can go into the switch terminals either way round, like wise at the ceiling rose.

Cheers for the reply. Sorry if its a stupid question (but if you don't ask you don't learn) how does that work?

The switch is just two bits off metal ( contacts ) that touch each other when the switch is ON and are apart when the switch is OFF. There is nothing in a simple swithc that is dependent on which wire is Live ( from the ceiling rose Live loop ) and which wire is Switched Live ( to the lamp at the ceiling rose )

As the supply is AC ( Alternating Current ) the current through the switch changes direction 100 times a second.

Sponsored Links
Switch wires - can they be the wrong way round?

Slightly off topic but I have previously seen the neutral wired in to the light switch rather than the live, the result being that the bulb holder was still live even when the switch was in the off position.

Slightly off topic but I have previously seen the neutral wired in to the light switch rather than the live, the result being that the bulb holder was still live even when the switch was in the off position.
That connection was not a neutral. Just because its black (or blue) doesnt make it a neutral. It will be a switched live.
It should have a bit of red or brown sleeve on it to show it ain't a neutral.

Google "how do lighting circuits work" and you'll understand, or look on the WIKI.

The switch is just two bits off metal ( contacts ) that touch each other when the switch is ON and are apart when the switch is OFF. There is nothing in a simple swithc that is dependent on which wire is Live ( from the ceiling rose Live loop ) and which wire is Switched Live ( to the lamp at the ceiling rose )

As the supply is AC ( Alternating Current ) the current through the switch changes direction 100 times a second.

Cheers for that.

M

I have previously seen the neutral wired in to the light switch rather than the live

A few weeks ago I was made aware of another example of this wiring, history of ( modern ) switches failing too often

Land N looped at switches.jpg

In the old days where two way switches had over an inch of separation between L! and L2 creating an arc between Live and Neutral as the moving contact moved was impossible.

Modern switches have a few millimetres separation and if wired this way then creating an arc between Live and Neutral in the switch is likely to happen.

I’ve come across modern switches wired with the permanent live in L1, the neutral in L2 and the switched live in the common terminal. I don’t know if it was deliberate or not, but there was no sign any problem of the switch arcing across.

That connection was not a neutral. Just because its black (or blue) doesnt make it a neutral. It will be a switched live.
It should have a bit of red or brown sleeve on it to show it ain't a neutral.

Google "how do lighting circuits work" and you'll understand, or look on the WIKI.

Thanks for the reply.

You are however incorrect. I removed the bulb and discovered that one of the two pins in the fitting was live regardless of the position of the switch.

I am not an electrician but I know how to spell my name and tie my shoe laces.

I suggest that you google "do I come across as a condescending muppet"

Sorry, it has been a long day. I don't always read things properly. I can only assume that, a)yes you can read and b) you didn't pay attention.

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back