Switched Live doesn't affect Extractor Fan

No. Just make sure they are connected together and to nothing else.

They are not required for plastic double insulated fans.

Edit - silly me, there's only one. For 'they' insert 'it'

Sponsored Links
Probably irrelevant but...

Looking at the exposed copper connections on the r,b,y cables, of which there should be none. Are you sure the cables are actually being gripped by the screws in the choc block?

From your picture I appreciate you've not a lot of cable to play with!!

One question guys - there is nowhere for me to connect the earth wire to from the 3 core+earth cable, so I've (poorly) tried to reconnect the earth into that clear plastic piece in the photo - the one that looks like a telephone plug,

Thats just a two port push in connecter like shown below, you may be able to reuse that, the wire should push in either hole or just use a terminal block as used on the other 3 wires, its only being used to park the unused earth wire

You may have connected the permanent live into the switch live terminal. This would cause the fan to work permanently.

Sponsored Links
I've bought some new 3 core+earth (to eliminate one possible cause) and will try out the installation at the weekend with that to see if it makes any difference. The old wiring looks a bit shabby.

So, it runs all the time, regardless of humidity?

If you are sure the wiring is the right way around, doesn't it imply a faulty unit?

Now the old one is wrong in the same way? I would bet a penny or on the wiring to be wrong. Did you fiddle with the isolating switch or other wiring nearby?

BEFORE you go putting new wires.

Have you done these basic checks?? What was the results
First,
Make sure that you have the right wires in the correct terminals. Make absolutely sure that
red is permanent live
blue really is neutral and yellow is switched live (if that is what you think you started with)

Not sure what you used for testing but you'll need a proper test meter or two probe voltage indicator to do this; oh and by the way, you will be testing for VOLTAGE and not

Hi all,

Just thought I should post how I resolved this. I bought a multi-meter to check voltage and was able to confirm that live was good, and that switched live only worked when the light switch was on. I tried swapping around the switched live, with the live, and as expected the fan motor only worked when the light was on.

I reverted the wires back to as before, and suddenly the fan started working as expected! Goes on only when the light is on, and switches itself off a minute or so later (as per the humidstat control). I didn't change anything from my original description. Bit baffled, but happy.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys - appreciate the suggestions and advice.

Regards,
David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back