Switching Fan / Lighting In Bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Clever idea - but I sense a 'maintenance problem', and also maybe an issue in relation to the accesibility of connections!
1) There are products specifically designed for such use.

2) Their connections are soldered.

3) There are ways to fix the tile it is behind which make it easy to remove in isolation.

If the requirement for the fan is driven by a build up of condensation, then why not consider a fan with a humidistat control?
Another very sensible suggestion. If, as seems to be the case, the fan is an in-line one, then that would require a 'standalone' humidistat - and although I presume that such animals exist, I wonder if the OP might have a problem in locating it, zone-wise (assuming it works directly on LV)?

Kind Regards, John.

If the requirement for the fan is driven by a build up of condensation, then why not consider a fan with a humidistat control?
Another very sensible suggestion. If, as seems to be the case, the fan is an in-line one, then that would require a 'standalone' humidistat - and although I presume that such animals exist, I wonder if the OP might have a problem in locating it, zone-wise (assuming it works directly on LV)?

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John,

I was editing my post as you posted this, so I don't know if you have seen the links I have added

Sponsored Links
Hi John, I was editing my post as you posted this, so I don't know if you have seen the links I have added
No, your links were not there when I was replying, but those links are obviously not to an in-line fan, which seems to be what the OP has/wants.

Kind Regards, John.

Hi John, I was editing my post as you posted this, so I don't know if you have seen the links I have added
No, your links were not there when I was replying,
I thought as much
but those links are obviously not to an in-line fan, which seems to be what the OP has/wants.

Kind Regards, John.

He says he 'wants' not 'has'.
We don't yet know that he particularly needs an in-line fan and also we don't know whether he is aware of the products linked to, so obviously it was just a helpful suggestion which may be better than anything previously considered.

He says he 'wants' not 'has'.
We don't yet know that he particularly needs an in-line fan and also we don't know whether he is aware of the products linked to, so obviously it was just a helpful suggestion which may be better than anything previously considered.
Agreed. If he did decide to use a surface-mounted humidistat (or, indeed, PIR) controlled LV fan, then I suspect that we might be back to discussions about 'zones' again! Mind you, the TLC material to which you linked did indicate that a SELV version is 'coming soon' - so maybe that could be a solution.

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks guys:

Ban: No tiling going near the doorway: only in the cubicle!!

Mik/ John.

Regarding the zones debate, the shower cubicle will be raised off the main floor on a raised step so that the shower cubicle will end up approx 300mm higher than it would do if built onto the existing floor level. This means the switch body is closer to the shower tray. Debateable it may be, but I'll err on the side of caution.

Thanks for the links.

I was just thinking of having an IP rated CM PIR triggering the fan. If I
could find one with a built-in delay of, say a few minutes, that would solve the "in-and-out" problem.

Because the room is comparitively huge, I'm having the S&P model to give the required turnover. Also, the silent model to reduce annoyance.

Ban: No tiling going near the doorway: only in the cubicle!!
I suspect he was thinking that you might only need the fan on if someone was in the cubicle (to use the shower).

... Mik/ John. Regarding the zones debate, the shower cubicle will be raised off the main floor on a raised step so that the shower cubicle will end up approx 300mm higher than it would do if built onto the existing floor level. This means the switch body is closer to the shower tray. Debateable it may be, but I'll err on the side of caution.
Fair enough. Quite apart from interpretation of the regs, the common sense issue is obviously whether or not a person (even a tall one) standing in the cubicle could touch the ceiling.

I was just thinking of having an IP rated CM PIR triggering the fan. If I could find one with a built-in delay of, say a few minutes, that would solve the "in-and-out" problem.
If you mean an 'on delay', I doubt you'll find that 'off the shelf'. Most obviously have 'off delays' ('overruns').

Kind Regards, John

I was just thinking of having an IP rated CM PIR triggering the fan. If I could find one with a built-in delay of, say a few minutes, that would solve the "in-and-out" problem.
If you mean an 'on delay', I doubt you'll find that 'off the shelf'. Most obviously have 'off delays' ('overruns').

Kind Regards, John

Yes, some think I need a system to delay the triggering of the fan, so that you could nip in/out in a jiffy without switching the fan on.

However, I could live with it if I could not set that up.

Yes, some think I need a system to delay the triggering of the fan, so that you could nip in/out in a jiffy without switching the fan on. However, I could live with it if I could not set that up.
It could obviously be done but, as I said, I suspect you'd have to engineer it yourself, since I've never heard of an off-the-shelf PIR unit with an 'on delay' as well as, or instead of, an 'off delay'.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back