Switching Fan / Lighting In Bathroom.

Yes, but the body of the switch must not be in Z2.
Assuming that comment refers to ceiling pull-switches, does this mean that you live in one of these 'modern' houses in which the ceiling is not above zone 2? No problems like that in my ancient house :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
I can do SELV cheaper than pneumatics....

Ban, I appreciate you do not like my ideas. You have made that plain. I'm now asking how you would do it, but you're not very forthcoming.

That's a bit harsh, considering I've not been here since I posted my comment.

1) For the lights, a switch. Simple, done, move on.

2) For the fan - define "use the bathroom"......

Can't you just use a PIR fan and then you can do what ever you ike with the lighting completely independantly of the fan?

Sponsored Links
Can't you just use a PIR fan and then you can do what ever you ike with the lighting completely independantly of the fan?
I thought of that one, briefly, but then dismissed the idea, because I'm not convinced that there is such a thing as an in-line PIR fan (presumably with a separate PIR sensor), is there?

Kind Regards, John.

I haven't seen anywhere saying it is an inline fan. If it is, then 2 passives. 1 for the fan, one for the lights (although I'm also in the camp of PIR dislikers for domestic lighting)

I haven't seen anywhere saying it is an inline fan.
The OP said:
... a TD350 SL...
...which you can see here:here.
If it is, then 2 passives. 1 for the fan, one for the lights (although I'm also in the camp of PIR dislikers for domestic lighting)
Yes, but that's the very thing the OP said he wanted to avoid - even though I think he's going to have to moderate his ultimate desires!

Kind Regards, John.

Yes, but the body of the switch must not be in Z2.
Assuming that comment refers to ceiling pull-switches, does this mean that you live in one of these 'modern' houses in which the ceiling is not above zone 2? No problems like that in my ancient house :)

Kind Regards, John.

The only place we have to put the switch at the moment is right next to what will be the shower cubicle. But because of the direction of the floor joists, it will have to be mounted on a raised platform to allow for the routing of the waste pipe, which means the ceiling is now in Z2.

However, supporters of pullcords can now rest easy. We have decided on a compromise: to hinge the door on the other side, so the pullcord is now further from the cubicle location and outside the zones.

As for the fan, I'm still wondering why a PIR is such a bad idea.

The only place we have to put the switch at the moment is right next to what will be the shower cubicle. But because of the direction of the floor joists, it will have to be mounted on a raised platform to allow for the routing of the waste pipe, which means the ceiling is now in Z2.
Fair enough.
However, supporters of pullcords can now rest easy. We have decided on a compromise: to hinge the door on the other side, so the pullcord is now further from the cubicle location and outside the zones.
OK. Does that mean that you are going to use a pull switch? Had you not said this, I was going to point out that one does not necessarily have to have the pullcord hanging vertically from the switch. In my time, I've had cords with a significant semi-horizontal run before, after going through an eyelet, it falls vertically; in that way one can have the switch in a position other than vertically above the pull cord.
Edit: Just realised that I didn't read the question properly, and answered in terms of PIR-controlled lighting :oops: . However, what I said was probably still worth saying, in relation to lighting!
I suspect that, althouigh some may not want to admit it, many of us who are advising against PIRs have made the mistake ourselves - thinking that it was a 'cool' idea to have PIR-operated indoor lights in one place or another - but have ended up being 'driven mad' by them. In essence, either one has such a long 'off delay' that the light is on nearly all the time (thereby defeating the whole idea) or else one suffers from sudden and unexpected plunges into darkness. Petty though it sounds, one soon gets very annoyed by that happening and, at least theoretically, it can lead to accidents.

I've heard tell of very sophisticated (and presumably expensive, if they exist) occupancy detectors which can sense things like the breathing of occupants. I don't know if that is myth or (yet) reality - but if reality, then they might actually be usable in situations such as yours.

Kind Regards, John.

Hi Secure,

I know this is a bit too late as you have a solution, but just out of curiosity:-

You say that the shower basin/tray is to be raised to accomodate the pipe work, But is this just the floor directly beneath zone 1 or is the finished floor level defining the base of zone 2 to be raised also?

If the zone 2 floor is to remain the same height as it always was, at what height is the highest water outlet within the shower?

BTW, PIRs in this situation, as others have already said are a bit of a poo idea that i think you'll come to regret after a period of time.

You say that the shower basin/tray is to be raised to accomodate the pipe work, But is this just the floor directly beneath zone 1 or is the finished floor level defining the base of zone 2 to be raised also? If the zone 2 floor is to remain the same height as it always was, at what height is the highest water outlet within the shower?
Yes, that's an interesting question. The regs seem essentially silent on the definition of 'finished floor level' in the presence of multiple levels - you may recall a discussion we had about one of my bathrooms in which part of the floor (essentially 'the bath surround') is raised around a sunken bath. Most people then seemed to think that, since one could stand on it, it, the raised area had to be regarded as the general finished floor level.

As for 'yet other' possible soutions, in addition to the 'non-vertical pullcord' I mentioned yesterday, I have seen a pullcord taken through a sleeved hole in a bathroom ceiling to a pullswitch in the roofspace above.

Kind Regards, John

Plan B, as you are clearly going to be retiling: a proximity switch behind a tile.

It assumes that you always want the fan to come on whenever anybody goes into the room, no matter why they've gone in. Even opening the door to turn off the light if it's been left on could make the fan run for 20 (or so) minutes.

When do you need the fan? If it's just when the shower is used put a flow-switch in the water supply to it.

Plan B, as you are clearly going to be retiling: a proximity switch behind a tile.
Clever idea - but I sense a 'maintenance problem', and also maybe an issue in relation to the accesibility of connections! Your suggestion of a flowswitch in the shower water feed might be more practical.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back