time lag switch for bathroom lights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kids unable to remember to switch off bathroom lights. Bathroom lights are operated from a 6 amp ceiling pull switch. Does anyone manufacture a ceiling pull switch with pull on, and which automatically switches off after (say) 10 to 15 minutes? and is suitable for bathroom installations?

Sponsored Links
if you have a low energy light fitted apart from the wasted energy is there much point in worrying!!!!!

say your new equipment will cost £15
say you use 15w low energy bulb and it is on for say six extra hours a day thats 84 w that =588w a week or around 4p thats around 6 or 7 years to =the £15 outlay :D :D ;)

Sponsored Links
I'm with big-all

Fit low-energy bulbs and forget it. You're turning into your dad.

The electricity you use with a heater, or an electric shower, or boiling the kettle with more water in it than will fill your mug, dwarfs energy used in lighting.

all leave house at 0830 ... bathroom lights on using 165w ... return at 1830 ... so thats 10 hours @ 165w = 1.65kwh @10p per kwh = 16.5p ... not a huge amount I suppose - guess I should take the hit!

165W?

You have 3 filament bulbs in there? Two 60W and a 45W? Where did you find a 45W?

Fit energy saving lamps - three 11W would do unless you have a huge bathroom. You are now using 33W

10 hours = 330 w/hours

One third of a kWh. Say 3p? Put the 13p saved towards you retirement. Or run the immersion heater for 12 minutes to use the same energy. Or a 10kW electric shower for 4 minutes.

He put the bulbs in the title of his 3rd post. 5 x 35w halogens.

Are these downlighters? How does the bulb connect to the fitting? Is it a retaining clip at the front and a flylead behind?

bernardgreen said:
PIR motion sensor. And wave at it if it times out during a long leasurely soak.

Have one in our downstairs loo, for exactly the same reason as OP asked (kids leaving light on). Got ours from B&Q - cost less than the ebay one sparkysprite posted.

It's a great test for first time visitors - they don't notice it on the way in, then when they come out they try the hall light, the porch light, the outside light...

sparkyspike said:
How about an occupancy sensor in the ceiling? You can set it to 10 mins, and it will come on and turn off automatically.
then when you go for a 1 minute pee it will waste 9 minutes of electricity!

fallingditch said:
5 x 35 GU10's - ceiling mounted with clips and flyleads

In that case, if theres plenty of slack on the flylead . . .

Fit these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GUCFL9.html

9 watts each. Equivalent to 40 watt normal halogen, but they seem brighter because they spread the light better. Take 5 mins to warm up, so could even be worth leaving them on all night. I can have a dump and they still aint full brightness. ;) Try them and see. I am a very satisfied customer. :LOL:

Crafty said:
I can have a dump and they still aint full brightness.

But that's nothing to do with the lamps.......choke, splutter!!

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back