Tablet security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to buy a samsung galaxy tablet, never had one before and was wondering if they need security on them? i have always used the free microsoft essentials and malwarebytes on my laptop would this be ok for the tab?

Sponsored Links
They are neither suitable nor likely available for the tablet.

I have Lookout security and antivirus on mine, but this is not really for any AV protection but for the features if I lose it - and because I wanted to play.

People ask about this often and they seem to get the reply that there has been no problem that needs it.

Are there Android viruses about?
Are they hackable?

It may also depend upon where you get your apps? I use dodgy sites more than the play store so may not be installing previously checked ones which puts me more at risk, but then I wont use it for any banking details.

Are there Android viruses about?
Are they hackable?

More than likely,I use avast and if I download an app it shows its scanning it,it doesn't impact on battery life or resources either.

I use Kaspersky antivirus on my android phone, they should cover tablets too. The virus's are more aimed at phones with a text feature or ability to call premium rate numbers than anything else. DDoS attacks are now being performed from mobile users too, so yes, definitely worth looking into.

Sponsored Links
There is no need for any antivirus software on android.

You may get a dodgy app only if you download it directly from a dodgy place, but this will be an unknown app which you specifically select rather than an infected known app. Otherwise, it is not the same as the windows environment, and the way a virus works and machines get infected is different

Antivirus software is a waste of resources

The biggest problem with Android phones isn't viruses, but malware. The malware is designed to either steal your personal information (such as passwords etc, or send text messages to premium rate numbers, without your knowledge (at least until your phone bill arrives)
As a minimum, I'd recommend anti malware software on an android phone.
In the end though, nothing can beat being internet savvy in the first instance. Only download apps from trustworthy sources.
However, industry sources reckon that in the future, viruses will be developed specifically for Android systems and antivirus software will become a must have app on an android phone. ;) ;)

There is a big difference between what can be done on a phone and a tablet.
Tablets do not make phone calls, so the need for the security is lessened.

The stats now show that more virus / malware is being written for Android devices than for MACs.

When you look at the number of these devices sold you can see why.

If you have an Android device you should secure your system to save yourself future grief.

I would recommend the ESET software. www.eset.co.uk

Hope this help.

Gary

Sponsored Links
Back