Taken for a ride? Boiler swap

Sponsored Links
Teddy
You seem to have the same attitude as one of my customers last week.
Wanted to buy all the stuff thmeselves, as in their words"dont want to get ripped off on materials"
They also wanted to do evrything except connect the gas, and then says
HOW DO I CLAIM THE £400 ON SCRAPPAGE SCHEME?

I think that you would be lucky to find a COMPETENT RGI that is willing to oblige.

Graham

Well the scrappage scheme is there to help the homeowner not the RGI. The scheme only cares that you get the inefficient boiler changed. I'm doing all the legwork becasue I think I'm competent enough to do that and want to save money. What I am not qualified for is the gas work which I'll get an RGI in for. nothing wring with that I dont think.

The main Issue I think is that a boiler swap is generally a big job, the RGI has lost out on the oppurtunity to quote for a full job so will quote to compensate. £1000 to swap a boiler thats lawyer money! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Maybe change your trade then Teddy? I wouldn't touch it for a grand :rolleyes:

You're telling me you would honestly turn down a £1000 job like this? The reasons being? How different is this for a straight swap combi? Wouldnt you touch a job like that as well?

Some real internet warriors I see :LOL:

i'm not being funny but in the real world you would take on a job like this for £1000.

Just a bit more about my circumstances .

First, I already knew the RGI who was going to do the work and done a couple of small jobs alongside him.
Second, I did all the groundwork since it had to fit into my renovation work timetable at home.

Finally, as already hinted, the installation specs involved the RGI from the outset - so I was acting under his instructions as it were.

No i wouldn't. I get maybe 3 - 4 calls a day for quotes for new boilers so when you told me over the phone you wanted to help install it i wouldn't have quoted for it. There are jobs with less hassle for the same/more money

i'm not being funny but in the real world you would take on a job like this for £1000.

But its not £1000 to you. You can then claim £400 off this amount?

I reckon you want him to install for £500 so you are only paying £100 for the installation. Two words come to mind lol.

we wouldnt touch it because we see people like you time and time again .
trying to save every penny its just not worth the hassle to any decent RGI
its more trouble than its worth.

i dont think the scrapage was designed for people like you to try and get something for nothing.

I reckon you want him to install for £500 so you are only paying £100 for the installation.

More like he wants them to do it for £400 and they sort the scrapage out for him so that he hasnt paid anything :eek:

Are you RGI's not jumping to conclusions here? Not everyone is on the make. However, I suppose that it is a sad indictment of the world we live in that has made your (collective) experiences veer towards cynicism and trepidation.

Are you RGI's not jumping to conclusions here? Not everyone is on the make. However, I suppose that it is a sad indictment of the world we live in that has made your (collective) experiences veer towards cynicism and trepidation.

i have been their and tried to help people in the past and got my fingers burnt ,never again

I can fully understand where you boys are coming from however I'm not in the game to make things difficult for the RGI or to rip any one off. The fact that there is a scrappage allowance is irrelevant, I'd still be paying £1000 and the RGI knows no different.

I cant see why this is any different to a straight swap boiler, its just with this there is no boiler to swap. In both cases you may get leaks etc or have to redo some pipework, thats part of the job.

The big issue here seems to be that the RGI is some sort of high power and any work done by any 'competent' person is just not good enough, well I can tell you being an RGI does not make you any more competent or qualified just because you have a ticket. Its not because its more hassel to take on a job like this at all.

A man tries to save money by getting the legwork done and gets shot down, not everyone has bag loads of money who has the luxury of ringing the phone and getting someone in to do the whole lot of £3-4K. If you have the capability and competent you are more than within your right to tackle this sort of job... to a point.

i would say that a RGI with 20 to 30 years fitting central heating knows much more than you give them credit for .

For me it all about the hassle i have done it before and always ends up as a hassle job.
the problem is people like you think they know what there doing and normally dont.
i went to one job where the customer had done the pipework and it had about 20 leaks i sorted it for him but then when trying to light the boiler the rads were not get warm .the customer had piped the flow and return together under all the rads .
this guy told me he was a pipe fitter and knew what he was doing.

let the person do it thats quoted you a £1000 and hopefully it will all work out ok for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back