Taken for a ride? Boiler swap

the customer had piped the flow and return together under all the rads .

You mean, that's not the way to do it? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
let the person do it thats quoted you a £1000 and hopefully it will all work out ok for you
Sounds a fair appraisal and a reasonable price. Op, you're paying for his expertese and professionalism, not just the name on the ticket. Trust me, these boy's know a bit about their business - what do you think they spend all that time training, updating, practising etc for?

Sponsored Links
the job was a nightmare he kept on phoning me for weeks after with problems.
o rad valves leaking what should i do etc etc .nightmare

full retraining every 5 years .

In both cases you may get leaks etc or have to redo some pipework, thats part of the job.

you havnt got a clue . you wouldnt normally get any leaks at all on a boiler swap .as all the pipework is already tested .

The big issue here seems to be that the RGI is some sort of high power and any work done by any 'competent' person is just not good enough, well I can tell you being an RGI does not make you any more competent or qualified just because you have a ticket. Its not because its more hassel to take on a job like this at all.

Or maybe they just don't like you.

Sponsored Links
For the record before everyone gets on their high horses I think I'm competent enough to know what my flow and returns are its not rocket science, that must have been an extreme case.

Each quote I've had haven't said they wont do it I was merely asking why the quotes were so high, now I know now. I fully respect the training and money the RGI goes through however there is no need to have this attitude that anyone who is not an RGI are incompetent of piping up a central heating system without leaks. I have faith in my pipework so there is no need to brand every DIYer the same.

I am not your usual plastic pipe DIYer either I'm a copper man who uses end feed fittings, I like to do a job properly and I'm extremely meticulous.

I am not your usual plastic pipe DIYer either I'm a copper man who uses end feed fittings, I like to do a job properly and I'm extremely meticulous.

a lot of plumbers use plastic pipe nowadays .nothing wrong with it in the right places

Yep nothing wrong with MDPE ;)

I could quite easily have piped up my central heating with barrier pipe however I feel a better job is done with copper. Just the way I roll.

Yep nothing wrong with MDPE ;)

I could quite easily have piped up my central heating with barrier pipe however I feel a better job is done with copper. Just the way I roll.

i personally like copper better myself as well but a lot of people fit plastic with very little problems.

Anyway Teddy looks like you got your answer - you are not ' being taken for a ride '.

Best of luck with the installation, hope it goes well.

I'm a pipefitter and like nothing better than getting stuck into a domestic heating install.
Helped a landlord fit his new oil boiler on Friday night.
Would have had it completed in three hours were it not for a frost fractured pipe in the kitchen that flooded the house and our efforts to braze it failed.
His new Firebird boiler and gubbins cost £240.

This nothing to do with who pipes what and who is doing what part of the job

When an RGI signs that piece of paper and registers the install,then he is taking respionsibilty with Gassafe register as well as building control,that he has done the job correctly and to the relevant standards not you

I personally am not into signing off DIYERS work my gas number and thus a licence to work is more imprtant to me then your grand which you seem to put alot of importance on

I personally am not into signing off DIYERS work my gas number and thus a licence to work is more imprtant to me then your grand which you seem to put alot of importance on

What makes you think you're qualified to sign off anyones work?

A few bits of paper? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

This nothing to do with who pipes what and who is doing what part of the job

When an RGI signs that piece of paper and registers the install,then he is taking respionsibilty with Gassafe register as well as building control,that he has done the job correctly and to the relevant standards not you

we agree again . this isnt good :LOL:

So when you do sign off an install what does that include? Boiler, flue and gas line. Does that also include any other pipework up to the boiler?

As far as Im aware there is no other ticket needed in a domestic property apart from Unvented Cylinders.

Yes Norcon its a few bits of paper,which say i am registered to do my job,if it was written on stone tablet then yes i would still be qualified

I have met the criteria as set out by the government via the HSE and regulated by GSR

so those bits of paper are the proof of my competance to ply my trade

Damn HTENG we may even become friend :D :D :D you just have to learn to relax mate and realise when im just winding you up ,and not being serious :p :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back