Taking photos of front doors.

Sponsored Links
This sounds very weird. Have you got any evidence that this is actually happening, and that parcel companies are involved in it?
I’ve seen plenty of posts where people put a picture up and are saying 'parcel company says it’s delivered but that’s not my door'.

I’ve seen plenty of posts where people put a picture up and are saying 'parcel company says it’s delivered but that’s not my door'.
Then that would have been provided by the sender, after they got the photo from the parcel company. It may or may not be their door, sometimes they deliver to the wrong house, other times the recipient is a liar.

I doubt that a picture of a door counts as private information, for the logical reason that it's visible to everyone from the street.

I had an ebay ebuyer who claimed non-delivery, despite tracking confirming it was. I sent them the delivery photo via ebay messages, which completely matched the google streetview photo in several ways, including the paving and some plant pots. It also included the recipient's slippers standing on the doorstep on the inside of the house. I politely refused to refund, they escalated the case to ebay, 20 minutes later their feedback page stated that they were "No longer a registered user". Good riddance to bad rubbish, I'm assuming they'd successfully scammed many more before me who didn't have a photo.

Sadly there are a small number of people who make this sort of thing necessary.

My old house the door was visible from the road, so there was no real problem taking photos, this house non of the doors are visible from the road, numerous doors around the house, visitors tend to only use one, I never considered it a problem some one talking a photo, until I say a photo on social media asking does anyone know this door. OK that one was not mine, but the fact these photos are now appearing on social media changes things.

It is OK for the Post Office to tell me the parcel was left at your door, we have photo proof, what the problem is when one sees both a picture of the door and address on social media. I have not a clue who's this door is, 1682513653074.png as the picture of the delivery is not good enough to read, which is why I give it as an example, but some you can read the address and have a picture of the door which is all well and good between the delivery people any your self, but not on social media.

Sponsored Links
Indeed...

It's called 'implied right of access', which can be withdrawn at the boundary of your property.

But as you say there is no offence of 'photography in a public place', although plod tried to enforce a non existent law a few years back suggesting it was an offence.
They had some powers under sec 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000, but it would need to be in a so called "authorisation zones". These powers are gone now. They can still use 58A however, but the evidential test is much higher.

With implied right of access.. it can also be withdrawn at any point. "Get off my land" Farmer Palmer style. When you take a photo, its a licence not a right of access.

I have not seen any parcel company randomly lobbing pictures of people's front doors on social media just for fun, either with or without a legible address.

If anyone has evidence to prove otherwise please post it, otherwise this thread is paranoid nonsense.

oddly, the delivery driver as the copyright owner can do as he likes with the photo, subject to the restrictions of data processing laws. The addressee has no right to take the photo and post it on social media.

I have not seen any parcel company randomly lobbing pictures of people's front doors on social media just for fun, either with or without a legible address.
Neither have I - why would they? I’ve seen plenty of people saying "They tell me my parcel has been delivered. This is what I’ve been sent, its not my door, does anybody recognise this door?

I haven't. But if so then either it's been delivered to the wrong house, which has occasionally happened since Postman Pat was a lad, or they're a chancer, and they've been around for ever.

I don't understand the point of this thread. Are photos of doors a bad thing? I've pointed one reason they're a good thing, most who sell online are likely to agree.

Some companies take pics of front doors when attending gas safety checks for land lords

In particular when said tenant is not at home despite agreeing to the time / date

The tenants make the claim they were at home waiting but
That no one turned up

Sponsored Links
Back