wasting energy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i was walking through the locality where i live last night (i had been out, got out of the taxi at my friends and walked home). I was amazed at the number of lights on the front of houses. It was like a mexican wave of PIR detectors.

But why do people use these? "for security"? We have streetlights!!! Those bright orange things on sticks right outside your house!

Also noticed a lot of lights at the back and front of people's houses (visible from the front, i wasnt prowling or anything) :rolleyes: that were on all the time, dusk to dawn. What is the point? Yes, they have 11w bulbs in them, but this is still 11w that you dont have to burn ALL NIGHT! It is benefiting nobody!

I also realised that on the new estate of houses they built behind our street 15 years ago, every house had been fitted with a dusk to dawn light! Every single house! There were about 300-400 homes built! :confused: I hope they dont still get away with this.

I also walked past one house which had TWO off-road vehicles in the driveway. I was tempted to knock on their door (at 1am) and ask them why. I mean, what does a family of 4 living in suburban doncaster need with TWO off-road monster trucks???? :evil:

back on topic, who has a dusk to dawn light here, and "why"?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Sorry, our shop has (new commercial unit, part of new small building estate) all 4 units have them. Has economy bulb in it though. And it does provide a safer 'feeling' at night, lights shining on the little car park in front of the units.

WoodYouLike said:
crafty1289 said:
Sorry, our shop has (new commercial unit, part of new small building estate) all 4 units have them. Has economy bulb in it though. And it does provide a safer 'feeling' at night, lights shining on the little car park in front of the units.
commercial units i can understand i suppose - unnattended at night and lots of value to protect (with nobody there to protect it)

I have one over my side gate. Side of house is in darkness but is overlooked. And one in my porch.

And one on my landing (stairs between bedrooms and bathroom).

All are compact fluorescents.

I think you were in a bad mood last night. Has it started to wear off yet ? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
On our house we have a 'sensor' light (lights up also when bats are about ;))

JohnD said:
I think you were in a bad mood last night. Has it started to wear off yet ? :LOL:
kind of a bad mood . . . it involves a female, so its complicated. but dont you think the PIRs that face the road and set a light to come on when someone walks past on the other side of the road are a bit wasteful? Same goes for bats, cats, and automobiles . . . :rolleyes:

crafty1289 said:
...kind of a bad mood . . . it involves a female... :

thought so.

Ah, what it is to be young!

Hve you heard that please turn off your tv as the standby light is on and wastes electric.
HYPROCRITS you wanna drive through manchester at night and all throught the bank hols those skyscrappers all lit up like a christmas tree with no one in them............

crafty1289 said:
JohnD said:
kind of a bad mood . . . it involves a female, so its complicated. but dont you think the PIRs that face the road and set a light to come on when someone walks past on the other side of the road are a bit wasteful? Same goes for bats, cats, and automobiles . . . :rolleyes:

She didnt hit you with a torch by any chance :LOL:

crafty1289 said:
WoodYouLike said:
crafty1289 said:
commercial units i can understand i suppose - unnattended at night and lots of value to protect (with nobody there to protect it)

and there you have it you answered your own question

VALUE and PROTECT

there is nothing in this world more valuable than your family and there well being

a bit of light will put off a would be burglar = safer house = safer family

crafty1289 said:
kind of a bad mood . . . it involves a female, so its complicated.

Ha, your mum locked you out again! lol
Anyway, what about these lazy gits taking taxis everywhere.

WoodYouLike said:
On our house we have a 'sensor' light (lights up also when bats are about ;))

Handy should a burglar ever try to enter your house armed with a pipistrelle ;)

Gary_M said:
Handy should a burglar ever try to enter your house armed with a pipistrelle ;)
Had to look that one up to 'get the joke' :LOL: :LOL:
Any of various very small insectivorous bats of the genus Pipistrellus, found throughout the world.

Sponsored Links
Back