Taking pull chord out cupboard and putting switch outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a pull chord inside my overstairs cupboard, as the previous owners knocked the box room into the adjoining room.

Id like to put a switch on the outside of the cupboard by running a cable on the inside (cover with ducting?) and cut a hole through the wood so i can put a one gang switch in. With the back box screwed to the inside of the cupboard. Hopefully the pictures give you an idea of what i mean.

Is this doable? Safe? Hard work?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I am sure it is. But what we have is not really enough info to say how.
In the UK we normally work from the ceiling rose or lamp which means the image gives nothing as to existing wiring.
Assuming a DIY job it is really open to how the guy has wired.
You need to give far more info for anyone to guide you further.

Ok I wired the fitting myself. It's a bar with three spotlights. Wired with live neutral and an earth. Is that what you mean?

Is the space above the cupboard accessible? (ie loft space)
Now we know what cables you have at the light fitting, what do you have at the pull cord?
There a few different techniques used in wiring lighting circuits, they could be looped in at ceiling rose, they could be looped at switch, they could be looped at a junction/jointing box!
So a few variables, without knowing what you have, it would be hard to offer precise advice. But will be doable! There may be additional or complete new cables be routed.
But in principal, if you can extend what ever you have at the pull cord to you new located switch plate, it will work.
Please be aware any joints made in the cable should be easily accessible for inspection and testing, unless joint are made that fall in to the category that comply to BS7671 for hidden or inaccessible joints.
If you look here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting, it may help

Sponsored Links
Hi yes there's space above in the loft. I'll clear out the cupboard and get the ladders out to look at the pull chord switch.

My first concern was would it be safe to
Put the switch on the mdf side of the cupboard. With the back box screwed into it. Guess there's a way of building a fireproof surround to the back box?

You can check the cables inside the pull cord by removing it's cover.
The cable route and making sense of the best way to go about it, can be helped by investigating in the loft space.
Mounting a plastic back box on MDF should not create a fire hazard providing all conductors are insulated and terminated correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back