Mounting lightswitch into side of MDF cupboard - compliant?

Sliding a little back on-topic, can anyone tell/remind me what regs (if any) relate to situations in which there is nothing other than air between live conductors/terminals and potentially combustible materials? - e.g. a basic batten holder screwed to wood with no backplate or, indeed, an accessory mounted on a wooden pattress.
... and I'd still be interested in hearing any views.

However, I've realised that this leads on to a wider question, in which combustible material is not an issue. What would people (and the regs) feel about plate accessories screwed directly to plasterboard-clad stud walls, without any backbox of any sort? I got to wondering that when, in relation to the wardrobe issue, I was thinking that, if there were a double wall (with a void in between) to the wardrobe, then a backbox of any sort might not be necessary.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
reg 526.5 says about enclosures formed from building materials is ok, if said material is non combustible when tested to BS 476-4

reg 526.5 says about enclosures formed from building materials is ok, if said material is non combustible when tested to BS 476-4
Ah, thanks - I thought it was there somewhere!

In that case, what I saw in the hotel, with part of the 'sandwich' of the 'enclosure' (faceplate-wardrobe wall-pattress box) being MDF/chipboard/whatever would presumably not be compliant with 526.5 - since I presume that those materials would not be non-combustible per BS 476-4?

The same, I presume, would also be true of the 'faceplate screwed to plasterboard' scenario I mentioned, since some of the extremities of the 'enclosure' formed within the stud wall would be timber?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back