Tamper seal removed from meter junction box and not replaced

N

NewFolder

Last night there was a power failure that affected our neighbours, so the electricity distribution company connected their house to our supply.

They did this without interrupting our supply, by connecting the cable to two junction boxes (view my user album for a picture of these) which go from the meter to a main fusebox and a smaller CU in the loft. They said that this would not draw from our meter, which seems strange as the junction boxes appear to be on the metered side of the supply.

This hasn't caused us any problems, however, if you look at the images, you may notice that there are tamper-evident seals on the two junction boxes, and also one on the 100A fuse. These have all been removed by the distribution company and not replaced.

Could the electricity distributor notice this and accuse us of tampering with the meter or anything like that?

Sponsored Links
You mean it will draw from their meter.

Contact them and have a moan, you are paying for their electric...!!!

The only way it won't, is if they connected to the cut out.

Of if they read the next doors meter and will deduct values from your bill, doubt it tho.

Is this a temp fix?

You mean it will draw from their meter.

Contact them and have a moan, you are paying for their electric...!!!

The only way it won't, is if they connected to the cut out.

Of if they read the next doors meter and will deduct values from your bill, doubt it tho.

Is this a temp fix?

It was a temp fix, disconnected now. It was a bit pointless imo as it was only connected for about 5 hours before they repaired the supply properly.

They reassured us that it would not draw from our meter.

They said they'd be connecting to the junction boxes, I can't confirm whether this is what they actually did though as it was done at about 3am, I know that the power was not switched off while they were connecting it though.

Sponsored Links
View media item 49251

probably will draw from your meter

but in that case they don't need seals (after the meter)

Does it not matter that they did have seals on before?

What about the service fuse? They removed the seal from that for some reason as well, AFAIK there has been no reason to remove it though, as the work they were doing was on an underground junction box in the street (supplies 4 houses)

I wouldn't worry about the seals, no one else does, but if concerned ring the DNO customer services on Monday.
The temporary connection would have been to avoid the 18 our rule (18 hrs without power triggers a payment)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back