TANK SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOING TO EXPLODE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can shed some light on this!
The tank in the airing cupboard makes a boiling water sound which gets
louder and louder and eventually it makes a click sound and stops.

It is very unnerving to say the least as it sounds like its building up to
explode. :(

Sponsored Links
is it being heated by electric immersion or boiler ?

do you have electricly heated hot water or via the central heating!!!!

snap :D :D ;)

IS there any water coming out of your vent pipe going back into the tank?

You should read post 36 in FAQs as it may be overheating and YOU NEED TO GET IT CHECKED ASAP.

TURN IT OFF. :eek:

Sponsored Links
If you have an electric element heating you cylinder this is perfectly normal. The click is the thermostat turning off when the water reaches the correct temperature.
Its similar to your automatic electric kettle in principal. The water is heated, which creates noise, then clicks as it switches off.
Don't panic as a result of recent news stories. These systems are perfectly safe.

tell that to the family concerned ]

I think that some people are getting a bit hysteriacal about the situation.

Yes, its only natural to be concerned. Yes by all means, if you're worried get a qualified plumber to check the system and make improvements.

Lets get things in perspective - millions of these systems fitted over the last 50 years = 2 reported deaths. How many people have been killed in car and plane crashes in this time? People still drive their cars and fly to Shagaloof for their 2 weeks of sun every year.

Keep it real!

These systems are perfectly safe

Unless its the type that killed the poor child :rolleyes:

Does the title of the post sound like it is working safely :rolleyes:

Does the explanation of the fault sound like normal operation :rolleyes:

To the OP turn if off and get it checked asap

I agree, limit its use, and get it checked by an RGI asap

Doitall and ScatmanJohn... Can we have your opinions on the best, or decent and troublesome Combi boilers pls in HERE .

Sorry to slightly hi jack :oops:

Thanks again to all who replied.

Going to get somebody round to have a look.
BTW..great and informative website a credit to all contributers.

Cheers! ;)

Doitall and ScatmanJohn... Can we have your opinions on the best, or decent and troublesome Combi boilers pls in HERE .

I don't think there's enough web space to to tell you what I think of combi's (bean cans), Combi's are made and installed to maximize profit end of story :eek:

I don't think there's enough web space to to tell you what I think of combi's (bean cans), Combi's are made and installed to maximize profit end of story :eek:

Here here

and fitted by lazy installlers most of the time who dont check the incoming mains water

I too am sorry for hijacking this post too

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back