Tanking a shower area prior to tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
two questions please ..

(1)

I have been told I should tank the area before I fit tiles to the wall of the bathroom, around the bath and especially the shower area.

I've looked at a few Youtube clips to see what's what and it looks quite straightforward.

Is this pack a suitable product please http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aquaseal-...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item51a56e69b9

Are there any better brands, or a better price for this brand.

(2)

The old tiles wer all removed, which left the walls in a sorry state, so they were all skimmed.

What sort of primer should I apply to the now dry plaster before the tiling. I assume I don't prime where the tanking is going, as there will be another primer used there.

I'll be fitting 200x 250 tiles and have already bought the adhesive, Wickes waterproof.

thank you for any advice provided AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
tanking - that'll be fine.

you need an acrylic primer. granfix bal and most others do them. ideally use the same brand as your tile adhesive (follow what it says on the tub)

tanking - that'll be fine.

you need an acrylic primer. granfix bal and most others do them. ideally use the same brand as your tile adhesive (follow what it says on the tub)

Thank you

I was going to buy a tanking kit and a separate primer for the rest of the wall. It looks as if they are basically the same, so would I be better off just buying, as separate items, all these (from the same brand obviously) ..

a primer, for all the bare walls, including under the tanking compound
tin of waterproofing 'tanking compound'
matting *

* I read somewhere that glass fibre matting can be used, and it often a lot cheaper than the tape in the kits

yep. bal wp1 gets my vote if buying separates.

matting is popular with tilers cos you can tile it quicker.

Sponsored Links
yep. bal wp1 gets my vote if buying separates.

matting is popular with tilers cos you can tile it quicker.

thanks for all your help ... including on another forum too (I use a different user name there)

So I'll get the Bal stuff and 'get going'

I've been putting off starting the tiling for a while now, but with 2013 upon us, I better get started, before my wife shoots me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back