tanking over skim finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just built a dowstairs w/c with shower cubicle

Ive boarded the whole area and will only be tiling the shower.

can i tank over the skim before plastering?

Sponsored Links
What have you “boarded over the whole” area with :?: You say “tank over the skim before plastering” but that doesn’t make a lot of sense; “skim & plastering” mean the same thing in my world :confused: .
You can skim plasterboard & then tank before tiling but there really is not much point in doing that; if you explain a little more what you’re doing, suitable advice will follow.

What have you “boarded over the whole” area with :?: You say “tank over the skim before plastering” but that doesn’t make a lot of sense; “skim & plastering” mean the same thing in my world :confused: .
You can skim plasterboard & then tank before tiling but there really is not much point in doing that; if you explain a little more what you’re doing, suitable advice will follow.

apologies, wad a little drunk when I posted

I have boarded the entire bathroom in normal 12.5mm p/b.

It will all need skimming (walls and ceiling), so the question was, is it ok to tank on the skim before tiling?

Sponsored Links
You should have used a waterproof tile backer board in a shower cubicle then no tanking would have been necessary. You should also use MR board as a minimum not standard wall board.

If your tiling, no need to skim it first, it’s not necessary; waste of time, cash & will reduce the weight of tiles you can hang. Just tank the PB & tile straight over it.

What size/weight tiles are you hanging?

Not sure if you really intend tiling the cieling but it;s not a good idea; just plaster it & use a decent paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back