Tanking questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to the forum and here because I indeed had a shower tiled by an obvious cowboy 4 years ago.
The wet room was obviously not tanked and subsequently the tiles have fallen off and the plaster behind was wet. The plasterboard is not damaged but the tiles have pulled off the skim.

I have done a little investigating into tanking but have some questions I would like to pose you guys here:

1, Is tanking a DIY job? I am fairly competant and have tiled before.

2, I have noticed that tanking kits generally come with a sealer for plaster, is this the best or should I PVA the plaster prior to this sealer?

3, BAL seem to state that tanking can be put ontop of tiles. Tiles have only come off one wall. Would it be advisable to remove all remaining tiles on shower walls or will tanking prevent moisture causing others to fall?

4, I have seen on this site that EPOXY grout is the only true waterproof grouting. Is normal waterproof grout enough if tanking has been done?

Sorry for such a long winded enquiry but I am very annoyed that the job wasn't done properly first at a cost of £500 for 1.5x1.5m power shower enclosure... plus tiles

Sponsored Links
1 Quite easy to apply, look at BALs video

2 Use the proper acrylic sealer, definately not PVA

3 If you existing tiles are on skimmed walls then they are unlikely to be able to support two layers of tiles particularly with the trend for larger format tiles which tend to be thicker and therefore heavier.

4 A flexible greout suitable for showers will be fine, try BAL superflex or Mapei Ultracolour Plus.

JAson

Thanks Jason.

Guess I'll rip em off then because they were put on by the same tiler, onto skimmed walls.

Sponsored Links
I'm new to the forum and here because I indeed had a shower tiled by an obvious cowboy 4 years ago.
The wet room was obviously not tanked and subsequently the tiles have fallen off and the plaster behind was wet. The plasterboard is not damaged but the tiles have pulled off the skim.

I have done a little investigating into tanking but have some questions I would like to pose you guys here:

1, Is tanking a DIY job? I am fairly competant and have tiled before.

2, I have noticed that tanking kits generally come with a sealer for plaster, is this the best or should I PVA the plaster prior to this sealer?

3, BAL seem to state that tanking can be put ontop of tiles. Tiles have only come off one wall. Would it be advisable to remove all remaining tiles on shower walls or will tanking prevent moisture causing others to fall?

4, I have seen on this site that EPOXY grout is the only true waterproof grouting. Is normal waterproof grout enough if tanking has been done?

Sorry for such a long winded enquiry but I am very annoyed that the job wasn't done properly first at a cost of £500 for 1.5x1.5m power shower enclosure... plus tiles
hello call me and i will help **************

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back