Tap Connector Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I wonder if someone could help. I've just fitted a replacement monobloc mixer tap, with braided 1/2" flexible hoses. The new hoses provided with the tap contsantly leak when attached to the existing 15mm isolator valve.

I would of re-used the existing hoses as they never leaked before, unfortunately one has sheared off on the thread, so I have re-used one, but can't get the other to seal.

The old connectors appear to have a larger nut, but other than that appear identical ! They also have pre-fitted washers, is it just a case of the rubber washer not seating properly, or am I doing something wrong ?

I've tried adding another washer in to the new connector, but it still leaks.

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
I think you may have over tightened them as you are connecting a flat faced fitting to a service valve that has a seating to take an olive,

If you just nip it up with only one new washer it should seal OK.

If, as said, you are straight onto a service valve end ready to accept a nut& olive, file the face flat with a flat file, have had to do this numerous times,

DH

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for your answers.

I've tightened it as tight as I can get it, and removed it and the washer is intact.

The open thread on the isolator must not be mating with the washer enough to prevent it leaking. I think the weakness is that I'm trying to connect a flat surface washer onto a threaded end, and hence have a very limited surface area.

The odd thing is the previous connector can just be screwed on by hand and is fine. Would the fact that the old connector has what seems to be a slightly larger nut on the end, have anything to do with this, as it appears to screw on to the isolator further ?

I thought this would be such a simple job !

Thanks,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back