Telephone Extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a sky engineer hook up a box in a house i was working in, they just Brought in some 4 phone cable cut to away and but then into these looking clip boxs you just push the wire in.

Does anyone know where i can buy this cable (Is it standard cable) and these connectors and if possible a wall box that works on the same principle want to add a couple of phone points at home and this looked very easy, just can't find the connectors or what they are called and when i went out to ask engineer he had already fleed the scene.

Anyhelp appricated

Sponsored Links
Probably IDC terminals, they are pretty standard on telephone equipment. The cable will probably be bog standard 4 core phone cable - (not stranded).

And invest in a proper metal punchdown tool - throw the plastic lolly sticks that come with sockets etc in the bin.

I was assuming it was standard telephone wire with 4 cores but he only used two of them blue white and white blue. and the conenctors that are link the end of extention cables are colour coded blue white, white blue?

I thought all four would need to be used to wire it properly yet, he using two and he just popped them in the end and pulled down a plastic leaver on the extention and that was it done, he connected the wire he run up both ends in about 35 seconds.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound quite like an IDC terminal then, if he didn't have to use an external tool to make the connection.

As for only 2 wires, that's all you actually need for a phone line - only 2 wires come in to your house (the cable might have more in, but only 2 are used per line). Within a house, you generally actually use 3 cores (and so wire up all 4 since it's just as easy), since we use a ring capacitor to separate the ring voltage on to a 3rd wire, but virtually no modern phones actually require this - they'll detect the ring straight of the main pair...

Yes very simlar to that they look diffrent but seem to be the same,

what i would like to know is could i do the following:

Break in adaptor on master socket to Living room (Standard surface box from sf or what ever) blue and white and white and blue connected to 2 and 5 i think?

Another break in adaptor in Living room socket to bedroom1 socket and same as living room

Then same as bedroom 1 for bedroom 2

I.e

Master ----------- Living --------- Bedroom 1 ------------- Bedroom 2?

You could but why not just hard wire to secondary sockets?

Ok so like this

Break in on master

then cable in to slave socket 1 2/5 and put extra cable in 2/5? and run this to next box?

Is this what you mean?

Thanks

What type of master socket do you have? You can quite happily hard wire to the master......

So long as it has 2,3 & 5 on the rear it can be done! Do you have ADSL? If you do then it's a good time to upgrade to an NTE5 type master anyway.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back