Temperature drop alert to phone

I stayed in a holiday let a couple of years ago that had a timer to give an hour's worth of immersion heating when the button was pressed. That was plenty to heat a cylinder of water, and couldn't be left on longer.
This let has capacity for six adults, plus kids

Sponsored Links
I can't believe lightwave can't do the job, however with Energenie I found apps are being added to the IFTTT list every week, so not being able to do it last week does not mean you can't do it this week.

You have two ways to show if working, one is the temperature, the other is the current, but to read either you need some device which connects them to the internet, with the Energenie I found the hub cost around £60 so clearly you are better sticking to the system you already have rather than starting from scratch.

There are silly ways, I could with Energenie for example get a TRV head and use gaffa tape to hold it to the cistern, yes it would work but would be silly, you have to look at what produces are made to work with lightwave.

I'm sure you can get a timer that can be set for more than 1 hour!
Not the point, the owner wants a full tank of hot water ( economy 7 timer) for guests on arrival, not wanting them having to read instructions and faffing about with timers, the property is empty for weeks at a time in winter so during that time he does not want to be heating the tank every day, the lightwave system has worked fine for space heating and water apart from a couple of glitches, one caused by lightning strike, another probably by a fiddling renter, so he wants to know if the switching fails and he can call me to override it

Sponsored Links
There's some stuff in the z-wave market that would do the job, but lightwave rf seems quite limited. Apparently you can integrate the two together (presumably with more hardware) but if he's willing to do that I don't know

There's some stuff in the z-wave market that would do the job, but lightwave rf seems quite limited. Apparently you can integrate the two together (presumably with more hardware) but if he's willing to do that I don't know
Its worth a try, depending on cost as usual

I understand lightwave are bringing out their next gen switches. Currently it is switch and hope. The next gen appears to report back condition of switch. However having experience of LW production promises I don't know if they are available yet. Mick

I understand lightwave are bringing out their next gen switches. Currently it is switch and hope. The next gen appears to report back condition of switch. However having experience of LW production promises I don't know if they are available yet. Mick
The Energenie are the same, standard socket to replace existing socket does not show if on or off, but the plug in adaptors have three models, one which does same as installed socket, one which monitors power being used and one that does both.

However the IFTTT system may allow something, but as far as I can tell you need internet, I have Sky both at home and at mothers house, at home it works A1 in spite of being a fair distance from the exchange, mothers however keeps failing, it only requires the phone cable to be unplugged and plugged back in again, however you need to be at the house to do that. So controlling my house from mothers OK, but controlling mothers house from mine it would fail too often.

I am sure mothers house is an open reach problem not sky, to be fair sky have sent a new router and an open reach engineer but not cured the problem, mothers house does not have an open reach master socket, so it could be internal wiring, no way to unplug and test it. However it really does not matter where the fault is, the result is the same IFTTT commands can fail.

It is the same with a simple wireless remote, when the extruder alarm sounds we can turn off the socket supplying the alarm easy with three remotes, plus phones, plus PC's, plus at the socket and we know it has gone off as the sound stops, but turning it back on is another story, at the socket OK a red LED lamp lights, but using all the others, it may switch on, but we don't know. Also any power cuts it will auto turn off and not reactivate once power is restored. The way around the problem for me was to set times so it auto turns on three times a day, even then is has gone wrong, set not to switch on Wednesday morning as we take mother to rest bite, however quite often it goes off when I return.

My son tells me he can read the temperature from his Nest thermostat at work on the phone, and I can read the temperature of my eTRV heads with the phone, but in both cases only if the internet is up and running. It may only drop out once a week, but if it does it may cure its self, but in the main it needs unplugging and plugging back in again, I suppose you could put router on a time switch so it reboots twice a day, but I note all the alarms still use the phone line, not the internet.

sms_5.jpg
You can get units like shown, mainly designed for intruder alarms which may do the job for you, but you would need to add relays to take load and it could cost more than it's worth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back