Temperature drop alert to phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will keep it brief, customer has a lightwave switch to control immersion in a holiday let, on a couple of occasions it has failed to switch resulting him getting irate phone calls from renters. I am looking for a sensor (PTC or TC) to stick on the HW tank and a device to alert his phone if it drops below say 40 deg. I am ok with instrumentation etc, its the wifi phone stuff that I need advice on

Cheers

CB

Sponsored Links
Why does he want remote control of an immersion in a place he does not live?

and a device to alert his phone if it drops below say 40 deg.
And when that device fails - fit something else to monitor that?

Just remove the remote control wireless internet app crap and ft a 20A switch on the wall next to it.

If they are that bothered about it being on when no one is there, get the cleaners to switch it off when they clean the place after people have left.

I stayed in a holiday let a couple of years ago that had a timer to give an hour's worth of immersion heating when the button was pressed. That was plenty to heat a cylinder of water, and couldn't be left on longer.

Sponsored Links
I stayed in a holiday let a couple of years ago that had a timer to give an hour's worth of immersion heating when the button was pressed. That was plenty to heat a cylinder of water, and couldn't be left on longer.
It must have been a pretty small cylinder. When one of my 140L ones is 'cold' (rare) it takes a bit over 7kWh to heat it up to temp - so around 2.5h with a 3kW immersion.

Kind Regards, John

Mine has one of these: ....
Do I take it that after the elected 'boost' period has finished, you can press one of the buttons again and get a further period of water heating? Mabe I misunderstood his "... and couldn't be left on longer", but I thought he was implying that in his holiday let, the control system would only let him have one 1-hour period of water heating (per day?).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, you could press it again.

The OP didn't write anything about 1 hour.

Yes, you could press it again. The OP didn't write anything about 1 hour.
No - but, as I said, stillp did ...

Kind Regards, John

You could press it again - it stayed on for 1 hour after the most recent press. I don't remember the size of cylinder, and I don't remember having to press more than once, for a couple of showers.

You could press it again - it stayed on for 1 hour after the most recent press. I don't remember the size of cylinder, and I don't remember having to press more than once, for a couple of showers.
Fair enough. If one hour's heating got it 'up to temperature', I presume that it must have either been a fairly small cylinder (or maybe just a 'top' immersion, primarily heating a lot less than the full cylinder of water) or already 'warm'.

Kind Regards, John

I use Energenie not lightwave, and there are three versions of the remote controlled socket, one just monitors the power used, one just switches on and off, and one does both with the latter easy enough to see when power was last used so you do know when on.

The problem with the socket is it defaults to off, I use one for extruder alarms so that I can switch them on and off before entering house and from both upstairs and down stairs, they have three built in timers so the one which is left on 24/7 has three minutes a day off time, it switches off and back on again one minute latter so should there be a power cut three times a day it will auto switch on again.

I have many ways to switch sockets on/off, phone, PC, and three remote controls, the latter does not need internet, or a hub or assess codes so easy enough for anyone in the house to switch the sockets on or off. Sockets also have button on sockets, the relay does not have local button.

Hive and Nest have IFTTT so likely there is an IFTTT app to link these to the relay, as to why you want to is another question. Because living room and mothers bedroom are effected with the sun through bay windows I fitted eTRV heads in those two rooms, they can be controlled from the phone, however I found it takes around three hours for them to allow a cold room to heat up, so unless I worked three hours from home the idea of using phone location to trigger the heating just would not work, they do what I want, they keep room at a reasonable temperature.

And when that device fails - fit something else to monitor that?

Just remove the remote control wireless internet app crap and ft a 20A switch on the wall next to it.

If they are that bothered about it being on when no one is there, get the cleaners to switch it off when they clean the place after people have left.

Tried that, does not work due to human interface problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back