Temporarily decommissioning an alarm system - how to keep bell box lit up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to temporarily take offline my alarm system due to some building work. I'm of the opinion that a big chunk of the benefit is the deterrent of having the box on the wall outside with it's little lights blinking away, so ideally I'd like to keep it powered up during work. It won't be for an age, but long enough that I can't just rely on the battery.

any ideas how to do this? I assume that it's taking something like a 12v supply from the alarm box, and some signal wires, so I need to make sure the signal wires are doing the right thing (connected together to form a circuit, is my best guess), and find a transformer that gives the right output.

The Alarm says Texecom Veritas. Can't see a version number. Looks pretty similar to the R8 (looking at google pictures), but not the same, so I'm guessing it's a slightly older variant. I'm going to guess about 10 years old.

Sponsored Links
You need to find the 12 volt hold off connections for the bell box in the control panel and connect them to a suitable 12vdc power supply (have a look on ebay for a 12 volt plug in power supply, doesn't have to be anything fancy)

On the panel, the A terminal is the 12+ supply to the bell, the D terminal is the -ve supply to the bell. Remove them from the panel and connect them to the + and - of the PSU respectively and make sure they don't short together, or to any of the other wires from the bell box cable.

Note, the bell box may ring when you disconnect the cable from the panel until you've completed the connection to the PSU.

As a note to the above , if the bellbox battery is working/ connected I would be tempted to disconnect it ,IF your building works may require the power to be off , it will cause the bell to ring !

Sponsored Links
Ah,so the hold off stops the alarm sounding. Yep, bell box battery works, so that will go off, unless I find a 12v supply with a battery backup....like the alarm system!

I'm thinking now maybe the best idea is to just move it onto the adjacent wall. I'd need to disconnect the bell temporarily, but everything could stay connected. If I do that, unless I get up a ladder, the box will sound until reconnected (or until I get a 12v supply on the hold off terminals). This is all sounding do-able - thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back