Temporary fix for a small leak in a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This morning heard the dreaded dripping sound coming from my boiler cupboard, opened it up to take a look and sure enough there's water dripping from the pipes. The leak seems very small - maybe a drip every 20 seconds. Had a good look round with a torch and the leak seems to be at this joint where the red arrow is pointing to:

Rf8KQ1H.jpg

It looks to me like the leak is just due to corrosion/age (I am planning to replace the boiler ASAP next year) and change in temperature with these cold days we've had in Scotland recently.

Of course, the timing is great :confused: as we are just about to leave for a few days for xmas, and I doubt there's any chance I can get someone out to look at it on the last weekend before xmas. What are the chances that I can apply some sort of sealant to stop the leak for a few days? (or even better, a few weeks till I can arrange a replacement)? Is it worth popping over to B and Q to pick up something like this:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

or are there any other tricks I could try? and if so, would it be better to drain the system before trying to patch the leak?

Any advice appreciated,
MJ

Sponsored Links
I have a poorly soldered joint that leaks and tried various ways to make a temporary fix.
From my experience whatever compound I used was not very good on its own.
I had more success by adopting the following.
(a) reducing the pressure if you can.
(b) cleaning the affected area, then.
Apply some Fernox LS -X sealant on the affected area.

Using a 1 inch wide bandage smeared with Fernox LS-X and wrapping it around the pipe and then wrapping hemp cord (also smeared with LS-X)over the bandage, keeping it tight while wrapping and forcing the LS-X into the leaking hole.
This stopped my leak.
I did the same using plumbers mait about fives years ago, but leak re appeared after four years.
This temporary fix is already 18 months old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back