Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning a self-build, but need temporary on-site accommodation as I will be the main contractor. There will be 2 of us living there and we have plenty of room away from the main build (half acre plot).

Unfortunately, due to difficult access, a caravan would need to be craned in, so will add around £1500 to the cost (plus another £1500 to get it out at the end).

We do not wish to dig to the deep depths of an absolute snotter of a caravan, as we do not want to be miserable, so can see around £5000 for something a bit nicer, possibly winterised/double glazed, plus a bit more to spruce it up. We would have to expect to not recover all of (any of) the purchase price once it has been lived in and the craning exercise might damage it anyway as we have been told.

So, I'm thinking that I can buy a lot of timber for the craning cost alone, can we build something instead? Or am I over-simplifying it?

It would probably only need to be a temporary structure, designed to last no more than 2 years. It would be of a similar footprint size as a caravan. It would probably be stud wall construction, better insulated than a caravan and would be a simple shape to allow 2 of us to live comfortably, largely open plan. We would be able to use (and therefore not have to separately store) a lot of our current furniture (that might not fit in a static if we went down that route).

Although we cannot think of a way to incorporate a permanent onward use, so the cost must be accepted as a write-off. Maybe we can use some of the materials once we are finished.

Good idea or am I deluded?

Sponsored Links

A good idea, future use would be as a mancave or similar.

I would suggest a rigid post and beam timber frame on pad foundations with infill panels.

A "temporary" home built by the architect Walter Segal during the renovating his house lasted for over 30 years as a workshop for his wife's career

LINK

I've no idea how much these cost, but might be worth researching these/similar.

https://modularleisurebuildings.co.uk/our-range/moddpod/

Those look lovely, but I'm certain would be cost prohibitive.

We've been over and over future use of the building, but we just can't get aligned on an idea that isn't being reached 'just for the sake of it'. This is why I'm trying to figure if I can build something for roughly 'caravan cost' that we can write off afterwards.

I'm pondering 8" corner posts 600mm into the ground, 6" posts also in the ground at sensible spacing, then a suspended 150mm timber floor and 100mm stud walls, all insulated. Simple Pent roof, insulated. Clad the whole thing using OSB/corrugated roof sheets. Windows/doors from a mismeasure company, then we're in the same position as we'd be with a crappy 'van where we can just fit it out in the most basic sense to serve the temporary purpose.

Sponsored Links
I depends what you are prepared to put up with.

These things seem achievable at first until you really look into what you are doing regards insulation, electrics, plumbing, roof, doors, windows, furnishings, comfort, draughts, leaks, wind rain and snow, floors, toilets, washing machines etc.

Don't be fooled into thinking it will be a cheap undertaking - because it wont.

I depends what you are prepared to put up with.

These things seem achievable at first until you really look into what you are doing regards insulation, electrics, plumbing, roof, doors, windows, furnishings, comfort, draughts, leaks, wind rain and snow, floors, toilets, washing machines etc.

Don't be fooled into thinking it will be a cheap undertaking - because it wont.

I hear ya and that's my worry.

I feel that we are in most of that with a caravan. I fear rusty chassis', condensation, leaky roof, mould and that's before we get into the grimey fixed furniture etc.

By building a more simple structure, we can use our existing bed, wardrobe, washing machine, dishwasher, fridge freezer. These things would probably have to end up in storage otherwise as they'll probably not fit in a static caravan that's laid out for 2-3 bedrooms.

A guy a few months back linked a summer house for his snooker room which was quite big and reasonably well built for about 5k if I remember correctly.

A guy a few months back linked a summer house for his snooker room which was quite big and reasonably well built for about 5k if I remember correctly.

I'd like to see that. I get searching, but if anyone else can link to it that would be appreciated.

How would it work for planning permission etc having a glorified shed with sleeping accommodation?
Is there no opportunity nearby of renting a piece of land to put a static caravan on?
What is the biggest vehicle you can get on site? What about a touring caravan/camper/converted bus etc. Atleast with something on wheels you would get back most of your money at the end of it.

The garage is attached to the house, we can't live in it as it'll be a building site.
Go with the caravan option. At least it's portable and has a resale value. I think the self-build shed - even a low end jobby - will be financially prohibitive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back