Temporary road signs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I might get headlamp flashing etc. These guys aren't doing themselves any favours, because if drivers get much of that, in future they will pull out in front of the first of the stream, and they'll all have to wait.
I expect they think that you should not be in that lane but should be in one of the ones to the left.

Recognise that belief?

BTW, do you think ban-all-sheds' rants in response to my posts are are justified?
Whilst feeling free to stick to accepted definitions of "rant", please show in a reasoned and logical fashion where I "ranted".

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I used to apply a 10 second rule (of thumb), when training people preparing for their advanced test, if they pulled in on a motorway or dual carriage way from overtaking and then pulled out again within 10 seconds. You'd pick up a minor for poor planning. You wouldn't necessarily fail, but if you consistently picked up poor planning faults you would - not be recommended.

I think the biggest problem people have with overtaking is when to do a 2 stage over take and when to do a 3 stage overtake. Once you've cracked the 3 stage technique, you can overtake in much less space and much slower than the default 2 stage which most people learn for the learner test.

Sponsored Links
So I caution against your blanket "you don't have to be too particular about keeping to [temporary speed limits]" and according to you that was me making a show of being morally superior.

Then in response to you complaining that other drivers don't move to the left when you think they should I asked you if you knew how big a gap there needs to be on the left for a driver to move across and you blustered and didn't answer. (It's 237m, BTW).

And now you're branding me an idiot without even reading what I wrote.

Truly, it is not I who is behaving like an idiot here.

Where do you get the 237m figure from, or how did you come to that figure?

First, oops - I made a slight arithmetical error..

We start with the gap to the left - if you were to move into that and then immediately move back it would need to be 4 seconds long (i.e. 2 between you and the car behind, and 2 to the one in front). At 60mph (the speed of the vehicles in that lane) that's 352'.

But to move into it to allow someone to come past you means that you stay in it, and in the scenario I described you're closing on the vehicle in front at 5mph.

So how long before the other person has come past you and you can move back out? In this scenario, he is also going 5mph faster than you.

If we assume the starting point of his "passing" phase is 2s behind you, at his speed of 70mph that's 205', so at 5mph he will draw alongside you after 28s. He then needs to build up a gap in front of you before you can pull back out, which at your 65mph is 191' which will take another 26s.

In other words, you'll be in the lane you moved into for 54s before you can move to the right. With a delta of 5mph you will have closed on the vehicle in front to the tune of 396'.

352+396=748' = 228m. Plus, technically, the length of your car.

So yes - I was a few m out (and that's all) with 237m.

And if it's wet you double that to almost 0.5km.

The OP asked me "Are you a lane-hogger trying to justify yourself?", and I'm not.

But I'd bet that he was one of those drivers who has no idea how much space someone needs to his left to be able to pull over for him and not end up driving too close to the vehicle in front and not force the driver behind to drive too close and not have to slow down.

ll all have to wait.

BTW, do you think ban-all-sheds' rants in response to my posts are are justified? S/he has decided I was saying something completely different from what I actually wrote, and made various quite unwarranted assumptions. Just interested in others' opinions, I'm not asking anybody to take sides.

My opinion is that bas ( also known as b-a-s ) is the most pedantic, friction-creating poster on the whole forum, although he principally limits himself to electrical matters. There's another little snippet above to allow you to form your own opinions. There is ( probably ) little truth in the rumour that there is a contract out on him.

My opinion is that bas ( also known as b-a-s ) is the most pedantic, friction-creating poster on the whole forum, although he principally limits himself to electrical matters.
So is it also your opinion that in the things I said in reply to fixit that I was "ranting"? If so I hope you are able to show that, using the accepted definition of the word, I really was. Or do you want to be another one of those people who thinks it's perfectly OK to accuse me of whatever the hell you like and not care whether there is any truth in it?

There's another little snippet above to allow you to form your own opinions.
The "snippet" above is an exposition of the inevitable consequences of maintaining safe distances between vehicles.

If you were in court on a charge related to an accident where a factor had been that you were too close to the vehicle in front, and the prosecution asked you about your knowledge of safe distances, how well do you think it would go for you if you said "only pedants take notice of them"?

Last edited:
So is it also your opinion that in the things I said in reply to fixit that I was "ranting"?

Unless I have a real interest in the topic under discussion, I don't read your comments any more ( unless they are concise , because you do go on and on and…..).

I'm sorry that your lack of ability to concentrate for more than a few seconds so hampers you in discussing and understanding things properly.

A very concise reply ! If we examined your ……...67,141 posts….. very likely to be unique in its brevity.

It is not my fault that you are only interested in short posts because you are either unable to cope with long ones, or unwilling to put the effort into reading for more than a few seconds.

you are either unable to cope with long ones, or unwilling to put the effort into reading more than a few seconds.

Well there you are, folks. Using his laser-like perception, Vulcan brain* and intelligence (sic ) b-a-s has identified my character defects: I'm certain that such searing comments will be deeply missed in the playground whilst he is commenting here.

* (Spock )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back