temporary supply for marquee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a temporary supply into a marquee for a wedding. The loads are as follows.
1 x 3.1 Kw oven
2 x 3 kw hot cupboard
2 x 2 kw water heater
3 x 500w max fridge
2.1 kw of lighting

How can diversity be applied to the above, trouble is all this stuff is going to be on the same time.

Now according to my figures after diversity I am looking at about a 61A supply, going to be an expensive job I think as the run to the farm house where the supply comes in is about 60m so I havnt got my tables here but I'm probabily looking a a kmf 80A switch fuse and 25mm swa, unless you can see I have done the diversity figures a bit wrong.

Sponsored Links
always a dificult one this,,

lights will be on all the time..

the fridges could be running all night because the doors will be left open.

the water heateers will probably be turned off afetr the meal.. as maybe the hot cupboards and ovens..

what about the dj and or band what will they want

used to work for stage electrics and we never used to allow for diversity, could not afford it going off in the middle of the event..

All the DJ stuff will be on after the cooking stuff has been turned off so that shouldnt cause a problem.. All the catering stuff and fridges will be on at the same time. As will the lights. Yes possibly later on the water heaters will be turned off. Thanks for your input.

All the items listed above are going to be on at the same time, this will be the maximum load at any time.

Sponsored Links
Points to remember (this is how I usually work it) :-

- You don't want to be exporting PME to the marquee
- You don't want one piece of faulty kit blacking out the whole marquee
- Think about emergency lighting
- Check and check again the condition of all appliances and extension leads being used in the marquee.

- Check and check again the condition of all appliances and extension leads being used in the marquee.

All of that is known, dont worry!! :D

Geny could possibly be an option, will have to get some prices, but I can imagine my brother (whos wedding it is) will not want the noise even if it is a super silenced one..

most gen set companys will also hire out quick connect leads (we hired some a week ago and they came in 10M sets) so you could site it about 20-30M away and with a silenced set, you would not hear it especialy with the DJ going flat out :LOL:

why would you be worried about PME being in the tent??

why would you be worried about PME being in the tent??
Because the "earth" from the PME is in reality the neutral and as such is often a few volts above true earth potential, true earth potential the potenial of the ground.

So current will from from any "earthed" item that is in contact with the ground. Or through a person standing on damp ground while holding an "earthed" metal item ( such as a microphone stand )

I'd second the generator hire, the bigger companies also can supply distribution equipment.

We hire then regularly and operate them in very quiet areas, never had a noise complaint.

I'd agree, hire a genny & all the distro - but forget HSS/Handy Hire etc you dont want some bashed about building site genny! Look at Aggrekko, Power Electrics, CAT

(I'll be the first to admit that temp power generation & distro is my line of business).

Forget diversity - it cant help you here.... your mate is gonna be mighty peeved with you if it goes dark on new Mrs's big day!

60A is a lot to take from an existing supply & take 60m across a field. If you really do want to do it off the mains then approach some of the event hire companies & hire some 125A cables. These should be made out of 35mm and should be enough over rated to cope with the volt drop (get out clause: I have NOT done a volt drop calaculation, I'll leave you do do that... one thing is certain, 16mm wont do the buisness).

As others have said, DO NOT export the PME. You'll need to TT the marquee & use RCD's

Don't believe what the Catering people say either, they will ALWAYS produce extra water boilers & hot plates & mircowaves and pull far more than they ask for... if you havent planned for that you just have smile sweetly & pray that the breakers dont trip!

Adrian

Thanks for all the good comments, will get onto some hire companies tommorow i think. Cheers Chris..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back