Tenby FCU's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have lost count of the amount of times I replaced Tenby FCU's. I replace them with MK's...anyway; tell me, when they fail I always carry out a post mortem on all FCU's, and one common fault they are all victims of and that is -not sure on the anatomical names for parts in an FCU - the two conical contacts on the switch seem to be very discoloured and evidence of "burning" I have just recently replaced another one and one of the contacts is completely melted away!!! Any explanation as to why that has happened. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
With most devices (sockets, FCU s etc) when you turn the switch off the load is still connected and current is flowing.
If the load is relatively large then you may see a spark as the switch is operated. (ie switching on load)
If the switch is used a lot with the load connected, eventually it will not make contact quite so well, that can cause heat and may cause failure of the fitting itself.

Sponsored Links
I thought that's what it meant. It is storage heaters, so in terms of physically switching them on or off then that doesn't happen probably twice a year!! However, when they are on during the night, i don't think current is flowing all the time for 7 hours whilst its charging up. they are thermostatically controlled, so when the ambient temp is adequate it switches itself down but not necessarily off. when the temp is below a certain level the storage heater starts charging again and this continues for 7 hours. so would i be correct in saying that it is that kind of off and on that eventually causes the fcu to fail. i wander if tenby know there's a problem am sure they do. i have changed probably about 30 odd!!!!

I used Tenby switched fused spurs frequently for 20 years, even now use some 'old stock' which was from a clearance sale - never any problems.

It is recommended storage heaters and immersion heaters are fitted with 20 amp double pole switches.

Funny, the reason I replace most switched spurs is because the fuse tray is broken.

Why? Securespark. This is the problem nowadays; when it is not obvious why a spur has failed - most sparks just simply remove it and replace it with another one. I open it up and try to find out why it has failed. It's like a nurse who has qualified and does not know about the anatomy and physiology of the human body. How could one truly be a nurse? I was simply trying to find the weak points within a tenby spur. Resistor too small? Something to do with the conical contacts? I don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back