terraced house rear extension - boundaries and foundations

All your comments seen to be related to construction technicalities not on design requirements. For example you have decided to have a pitched roof to the rear to avoid a gutter to the side. That's fine, unless you have a house that mono pitched roofs don't harmonise with, or if the size of the roof makes it look odd regardless.

Likewise if you don't want a stepped party wall, you design one that's not stepped, not step it because of some mistaken notion that the wall needs to be a random distance from the boundary.

It's always better to start off by determining what is actually needed and then exploring the options to active it. And only alter and compromise the requirements after proper consideration of all constraints and options. Otherwise you just end up with something inferior than what was possible.

Sponsored Links
that's not true. I'm not interested in contruction technicalities, I just want to be able to understand them to be able to draw the link between legal restrictions on my property and possible outcomes. this is not a thread about roofs, gutterings, foundations or design considerations, but about being able to meet very tight and specific requirements without deviating even centimeters from the existing property width. I'm more interested in what's "legally" (planning/regs/good practice) possible than the technical detail of it.

as I said, I'm flexible with my requirements. huge kitchen with an island or a more modest one wall kitchen, a huge utility room and pantry or none at all, a table that easily accomodates 12+ people or one that's barely enough for 8, it all works for me. I just need to know what the "law" (council/neighbours) allow me to do to know how to plan and build what's already in my mind.

I hope that makes sense. I couldn't care less about what foundation or roof I go for or what it looks like as long as I end up with the interior space I care about.

Oh. The four points in your OP are all technical. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's the conceptional process to get the best outcome

Let’s agree to disagree, we have different definitions for technical and non-technical considerations.

as I said, understanding some basic options that might border technicalities to be able to work out what is legally possible is not technical.

had I asked for what sort of concrete the foundation should be made of, what load my RSJ needs to be able to bear or how different tiles behave in heavy rain, you’d have a point.

all I’m asking is how close to the boundary can I realistically build without getting into trouble. Thanks for your help again.

Sponsored Links
also, am I right in thinking I don't need gutters at the sides of the roof? all extension I see have the gutter at the front, above the extension patio doors.
No, you are not right.

Your designer may deem a hip roof most appropriate for your extension roof, therefore you would need to accommodate around say 250mm of overhang all around the building. As Woody said, you need to speak to a designer first and prioritise the design side of things to suit your needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back