Test Meter Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
alright all, ive got a kewtech kt62 and when i put 8 new batterys in and olny get about 3 full electrical tests and the low battery sign comes on is this my test kit or do they all do this?

Sponsored Links
ok, firstly.. not a very descriptive subject title.. how about "Test Meter Problems" or something similar? :rolleyes:

now.. it all depends on the batteries you use, and how you use the meter..

if you use cheap ones ( like the 40 for a pound cards you get in the pound shop ) then you can't expect them to be great can you.
if you use rechargibles, they are already down to 1.2V before you use them.. so not great for things that relly on the right voltage in the first place..

if you do lots of "meggering" then you use up a lot of juice..
also leaving the meter on while you go change over a terminal block or run out to the van etc all drains it excessively..

Sponsored Links
Get some of these batteries:
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2045.aspx

Cheap unbranded batteries and standard alkaline types are generally useless in test equipment.

Can vouch for those batteries - they really do last at least twice as long as the top Duracell Alkalines, and are a completely different chemistry. Don't buy them from a supermarket or high street retailer though, as you can buy them in small batches off eBay and it'll work out about half the price. I think the last pack of 32x AA I purchased was around the £30 mark.

If you consider £1/battery too expensive then it might be time to upgrade to a test meter with rechargeable batteries build in. My Metrel MI3000 has a built-in charging circuit and takes NiCd/NiMh AA rechargeable, which you can replace with non-rechargeable cells in the unlikely event that you run out of power during a test.

Get some of these batteries:
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2045.aspx

Cheap unbranded batteries and standard alkaline types are generally useless in test equipment.

Can vouch for those batteries - they really do last at least twice as long as the top Duracell Alkalines, and are a completely different chemistry. Don't buy them from a supermarket or high street retailer though, as you can buy them in small batches off eBay and it'll work out about half the price. I think the last pack of 32x AA I purchased was around the £30 mark.

If you consider £1/battery too expensive then it might be time to upgrade to a test meter with rechargeable batteries build in. My Metrel MI3000 has a built-in charging circuit and takes NiCd/NiMh AA rechargeable, which you can replace with non-rechargeable cells in the unlikely event that you run out of power during a test.

If you do decide to upgrade, I'll give you £50.00 for your old one if it's 17th edition. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back