Test Point Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a gas safe engineer, come out to provide a gas certificate/boiler service

Upon completion he said that the boiler and everything was in good shape... However he was holding off on providing a certificate as he said that I 'do not have a gas test point'

He said that normally you'd find this after the shut off valve.

He said that he would check whether it is a requirement to have this, before providing the certificate

This surprised me, as I've had gas certificates for many years and this was never brought up. Perhaps things have changed? Also, I always assumed that I had one.

Can anyone confirm whether this is mandatory? Here is my current set up.

1Cj666y.jpg

JO576JU.jpg

Sponsored Links
He's talking arse. There's one on the boiler.

Strictly speaking there should be one upstream of the isolation. But it only needs noting down on the certificate.

That's presumerably an additional emergency control valve.

Do you have full access to the gas meter and control valve on the inlet?

There will be a test point on outlet of the meter.

He's talking arse. There's one on the boiler.

Strictly speaking there should be one upstream of the isolation. But it only needs noting down on the certificate.
Why do tradesman do things like this? Shame really as he seemed like a real nice chap..

Out of curiosity, any idea how much a gas engineer would look to charge for this 'work, which I do not need?'

That's presumerably an additional emergency control valve.

Do you have full access to the gas meter and control valve on the inlet?

There will be a test point on outlet of the meter.
Yes there is an ECV by the meter and I have full access here...

I can take a pic of area if it helps?

Sponsored Links
He might be a nice chap, but he also might not have any experience. I have just got off the phone with an old customer who has some there fixing her boiler and he's only been in the job for two months.

I just read his profile and he has been in business for 7 years (verified) and he says that he has been in the trade (gas/plumbing) for over ten years.

@Dan Robinson could this still be a case of inexperience in your opinion or just trying to make a few extra pounds?

Depends more on what test point he thinks is missing.

As GG said - there's one on the gas meter.

There's also one in the boiler.

There should be one just upstream of the boiler isolation valve, but there hardly ever is. He could be referring to this one, but it is difficult to guess some one's intentions remotely over the internet.

I'd be more concerned about that blue-handled valve being on a gas pipe. Valves approved for use on gas normally have yellow handles, although I have seen some with other colours. If it's a water-only valve, it needs replacing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back