Tester Screwdriver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another picture of the week for you to enjoy, luckily the supply was off.

How many errors can you spot?

PHOTO-2019-04-12-20-30-16.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Not being an electrician, no. It was just a guess. What CO and HC readings would you expect from a pre 1980 petrol engined vehicle? I won’t try to be smart if you guess and get it wrong.

You’d be better off sticking with car maintenance then, or whatever the day job is.
Guessing is not something we like around here.

That’s ****ing obvious! Do you think any electricians are going to actually answer the question or just make sarky comments?

And here it starts... I'll pull up a chair and get some popcorn.. :)

One problem is that there is a big Green ring hanging on the isolator, if it's at all metallic then it could slip down and short the L1-L3 terminals :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The SWA is not terminated correctly, the outer is not earthed.

I would not use a neon screwdriver to test mains as a first tool, however where there has been cable damage so only one phase is live, then the neon screwdriver is one of the few tools that will show a live wire.

I remember only too well working on a Robin tunnel boring machine, supply to 10kv into a step down transformer to 660 volt for main motors then a second transformer dropping to 220 volt phase to phase with an IT supply. One needed to hunt for the third phase to have a reference point and the phases took it in turn it seemed being earthed. And some times different sections of the machine would link to different phases, so before touching any metal work one always tested with neon screwdriver, as long as the lump of metal is same polarity as me, touching it will not hurt.

And the number of times when I have come to remove a neutral that the neon has lit, warning me of a borrowed neutral before the clamp on ammeter was sensitive enough to detect current used by single light bulb, I have lost count.

I have seen many a panel with a rats nest like that, and proving dead is not always easy, I had to remove some old cables like what is shown, I used a meter, a proving unit and a neon all showing dead, I hack sawed through what seemed main cable and went for lunch, on return there were sparks coming from the cable. Clearly now live I had to try and find out from where with all cables glued together with concrete from the batching plant, it turned out one old cable fed a transfer motor which was PLC controlled, until the cable sparked and the plant failed, I was unaware the motor even existed. And the panel where the cables connected had been without a lid for years.

After the near miss, I considered what I could do to prove dead, two spikes would be only way, so revising the risk assessment it was decided only when plant was not in use, could the old cables be removed.

The collages can teach us as much as they want, but where there is no wiring plan, mistakes will happen, we of course do spike high voltage cables, my father-in-law related how he has written down on the method statement all cables to be spiked before removal. He found a guy with a spike of a road drill about to hammer it through the cable. Clearly not a clue what would happen if it did carry 3.3kV.

Even with low voltage, ionisation can throw people across a room, and this idea that testing is different to working live is all well and good until one selects wrong holes or wrong range on a meter, specially if leads not fused.

I love my clamp on meter, there is no wired current range, no mistake can cause the big bang, and I can test neutral wires for current before removal, however unless you have a clamp on in your tool box, then the neon screwdriver is essential.

As a P.S. it seems the moulded breaker is "On" so items falling on an isolator or breaker can't switch it on, down is always off, the exception seems to be domestic where tradition has them reversed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back