Testing air humidity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask some question please regarding engineered/ solid wood flooring. I have been asked to lay one of the above, I know the property in which it is to be laid was completely replastered and re-rendered "in places" during november and december of last year.

I would imagine that despite them having the heating and the log burner on full blast for the past few weeks, there probably will be still be a high humidity level in the house.

Now before I attempt to lay this floor I want to be able to measure the level moisture in the house and the level of moisture in the flooring and it is at this point that I fall flat on my face as I dont know how to do it.

To my mind there should be parameters around the moisture content of the floor and the moisture content of the room where said floor is being fitted "Ideal environment".

Additionally this is flooring is 18mmx200mm and not varied lengths, unfortunately at this stage the customer is unable to verify what the length is nor whether its engineered or solid but its definately oak and its definately being secret nailed. The floor will be laid in four rooms which has a total floor area of 11 metres squared discounting the dividing walls, with one complete run being 11 metres long I can put in a threshold at the 5 metres point of this 11 metre run as it goes through a doorway additionally I can put thresholds in the other two doorways to break up the run of the flooring and to allow for expansion "would this be wise and is it neccessary?

Thank you once again, off to relax with a good book now, ta ra.

Sponsored Links
Curiously enough, those cheapo weather stations you can buy indicate the inside and outsite temperature and humidity......whether thats relevant to your project isn't for me to say!
John :)

Thank you John it would seem you are correct there doesn't appear to be anything else on the market. I Always expect to pay a fortune for anything technical as most my tools cost a small fortune. Thank you for your reply.

for something proper buy a protimeter mms or hygromaster to test air humidity, by the by the boards to be fitted at 200mm wide are too wide for nailing and need bonding direct to the subfloor and any length over 8mtr and width of 7mtr require splitting and allowing a expansion gap.

Sponsored Links
your correct to worry.

Before installing a wooden floor you need to know -

Room RH
Room Temp
Subfloor MC
Wood MC

You need a equilibrium chart to check your readings to know when the product / area and subfloor are withing equilibrium.

Relatively cheap meters can be used for the above but ideally you will pay a lot of money for a meter to read MC that has a proper conversion chart for wood species.

I would presume you already have a MC meter and conversion chart for wood species as your a chippy?

If so then you just need something to take temp and humidity of the room. Will cost you £10 quid off ebay etc. As for a equilibrium chart to convert surrounds etc then you may find it difficult to find one of these, we give them out on courses but we dont allow them on internet. Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back