That 'grabit' tool for rounded screw heads. Experienced it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=g...&sa=X&ei=YKhzVK3sNMjYaoa7gvgE&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-grabit-screw-and-bolt-remover-2-pieces/21391

Seen this & in theory it sounds like a great idea.

I don't know if it was the immediate previous owners, but someone who owned the house before us seemed to have a thing for rounding off screw heads.

We need the garden gate off, but not a chance as the head holes are now all circular. I tried hammering a bit in to it but nope (perhaps i'm not doing it right).

Some of the interior doors also have their heads rounded.

This tool SOUNDS like it could be just the ticket. Do any of you know whether it lives up to its advertisement?

Sponsored Links
You could use a Dremel or similar drill to cut slots in the screw heads.

I call these things 'theoretical' tools.......they should work, but 99 times out of 100 they don't.
A bit like those left hand screw in bolt extractors......they only seem to work when the bolt isn't very tight anyway!
John :)

I've often found that screws can be removed by tapping round with a nail punch. A good trick is to tighten the screw first before trying to remove as it tends to break any sort of seal that may form.

Sponsored Links
impact driver and the correct bit is surprisingly effective at removing rounded / worn screws

I don't know if it's any good or not, but if you get one and it is good then can I borrow it? :)

Tend to agree with the others though. 40 odd years of engineering / diy / woodwork, and I don't think there is any one "fix" Good quality, unworn bit and plenty of pressure will get most out. Sometimes an old fashioned brace with the appropriate bit fitted works wonders. I have a piece of tough steel, like allen key steel, ground on one end a bit like a lathe parting tool, that I use as a sort of punch to clean the paint out of screw slots, and which is hard enough to use as a punch to drive a screw round if needed.
I'd agree with burnerman that the left hand thread type stud or bolt extractors aren't much use. I've got a lovely set. Presto I think, in a fitted wooden box with the right drills included. Smallest one broken thanks to a friend. :) Used once apart from that IIRC on a stud broken off well down the hole.

I'll post a photo tonight when I'm at my PC so we're all on the same page. I should've done that in the OP but basically instead of the head having a cross on it it's got an open circle where it's all been rounded.

Drill the screw heads away mate, and once the hinge is free, move it up or down a cm or two......use new screws with a pilot hole.

This be the rascal

I was talking to some at work who are more DIY minded than myself

Advice was as you say - drill the heads off & then use mole grips they said to remove the stumps, or to angle grind the heads off.

Although drilling off seemed to cause some disagreement....

Do you use a bigger drill bit, a similar sized drill bit or a smaller drill bit than the head? As i've been told to use each depending on who i was talking to at work.

Out of interest, would you use the same style hinge? It's a wooden gate, wooden post & the post is on to a brick wall.

Those screws look to me to be sitting proud of the surface of the hinge. I've removed worse with nothing more than a pair of side cutters biting into the edges and turning.

If necessary, a 6mm drill will take those heads off, then grind away what's left poking above the surface of the timber.
A Tee hinge would be used here normally, but what yours is isn't too obvious.
If you want to use a Tee hinge, buy one that's not made of Bacofoil if you can!

It's an old photo but IIRC the heads aren't really sitting too proud. The photo is a bit deciding that way I think. I couldn't grip on to anything.

The hinge in the door side is a long triangular length of metal is the only (& poor) way I can describe it. Not knowing the names for hinges & being at work on my phone right now I'm not able to do any better at the moment. Sorry.

Sounds like a T hinge, which is the correct one for a gate.

I think those heads are Phillips not Pozidrive ones they look similar but will slip if the wrong screwdriver is used , get a good phillips screwdriver best type have the shaft running through the handle to take an impact.
Clean out the hole put the driver in and wack it with a hammer while turning. Strangely it is usually best to tighten the screw a tiny bit before trying to unscrew.

I've used the expensive diamond screwdriver bits in my drill to shift screws like this. Wiha are better than Wera. Start slow and not on maximum torque. If it doesn't move, increase the torque but make sure that the bit doesn't slip in the screw. Last try - use the full 'drill' torque.

If that doesn't work, I go for my Trend Pro Grabit. It usually works and anything is better than drilling the head off (unless you don't need to use the hole again!). I do alarms so I use it on siezed and rusted machine screws on bell boxes, 2" no.8 screws in roller shutter contacts and various other old outdoor stuff. The Grabit is very quick and it can save you a whole heap of time when it works. I'd recommend it if you've got a lot to do and the diamond bits don't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back