That Sinking Feeling....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
....when you are fault-finding!

I went to a job today. "Kitchen power off".

Just went off, said the customer. Looked at the board. It looked like a RF on a B32.

Right away, I smelt a rat. You don't get complete power loss on part of a ring without more than one break.

So I go round looking at sockets in the kitchen. Nothing. Look in the adjacent dining room, built and wired up in 2007 by a 5-day wonder and notified to the council. What's more, the council came round to inspect and gave it their blessing!

There is a break in the live at one socket. Lo and behold, the dead sockets are back on.

So I break that socket again and do a quick test for voltage: one leg live, the other dead...

Next I go round and check Zs at all the kitchen & dining sockets. I started at the one nearest the kitchen and worked my way roud the rooms clockwise. The nearest socket was 1.04. This gradually increased until I was in the kitchen, furthest from that first socket cable-wise. The last socket read 2.18.

Ze was 0.2 btw.

Next I opened up the CU to check the RF tails for continuity.

L-L = 15.06 Ohms

N-N and E-E both >1999 Ohms.

While I was there I noticed an external circuit put in at the same time, a piece of 1.5 SWA with a B32 on the end of it. It was not terminated with a gland nor were the cores correctly identified and it was not cleated up.

Needless to say there was no paperwork or labels affixed to the board.

I referred the customer to the council, suggesting they complain about the boy wonder AND their own inspector, who passed this sorry collection of cables.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the council inspector is less of an electrician than the 5 day wonder.
Did you find the reason for the high readings in the RFC?
2.18 is on the high side for a 2.5 radial (which in effect it is), how long is the cable run? What size cable?

It is high, yes, especially considering the 0.2 Ze.

However, the circuit covers both floors of an extended 3 bed detatched.

oh yes I hate that sinking feeling!!
The other day, went to test an RFC, R1 cont 0.34 Rn cont 0.35, all is well so far ...... R2, meter didn't move >200........

After doing R1 + R2 with only one R2 leg in, I eventually found the break, A switched FCU some "expert" had installed in the ring. He didn't think it important to terminate CPC's

Sponsored Links
oh yes I hate that sinking feeling!!
The other day, went to test an RFC, R1 cont 0.34 Rn cont 0.35, all is well so far ...... R2, meter didn't move >200........

After doing R1 + R2 with only one R2 leg in, I eventually found the break, A switched FCU some "expert" had installed in the ring. He didn't think it important to terminate CPC's

Have had the same before - only my time they had put the CPCs into the terminal and had even sleeved them - just didn't leave any exposed copper at the end of the sleeve :LOL:

Well, as I said, there's one ring for two floors of extended detached house. Maybe there are some poor joints too, that might increase the sum a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back