The BBC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had an article on the Breakfast News talking about how elderly and vulnerable drivers will be put off parking because they can't use technology to pay for parking.

With no hint of irony, at the end of the article, they said "Are you one of the ones affected by this?
Get in touch with us using Twitter, WhatsApp, email, QR code...

FFS....

Sponsored Links
I hate those phone parking systems. You pay to park and then you pay to pay.

Just had an article on the Breakfast News talking about how elderly and vulnerable drivers will be put off parking because they can't use technology to pay for parking.

With no hint of irony, at the end of the article, they said "Are you one of the ones affected by this?
Get in touch with us using Twitter, WhatsApp, email, QR code...

FFS....
“Contact us” on a public body/private utility’s website is easy when they want your money, and next to impossible when you want to complain or raise a non FAQ issue.

Blup

Pay to pay?

"There may, however, be another benefit to councils from a system that some find harder to use. Data obtained under freedom of information legislation earlier this year showed councils collected £158m of parking fines in areas that offered a cash option. In those that did not, the figure ballooned to £257m."

Sponsored Links
But when will be the day that we just accept that everything is online?

Phones were a new invention once. People soon got the hang of it, and a day rapidly came when you couldn't pay your bills or arrange things with a business without one. People weren't whining about it, refusing to get one and insisting that they'd write a letter asking for an ambulance instead of phoning because that's how they've always done things.

Do all businesses need to keep an alternative means for ever? If not then when should that cutoff be? Next year? 2030? 2050? Providing a call centre costs money, and everyone else usually ends up paying more as a result. We can't wait indefinitely for the last luddite to get the hang of it.

Perhaps the government needs to put a line in the sand, and declare that you may not be able to function normally if you're not online by say 2030.

In our area they've ended the payphone arrangements and brought in contactless or cash parking which seems fair enough, and certainly against the run of play. Just before the change, the Council managed to issue me a parking ticket caused, they said, by a gremlin in the system (run by a private external contractor). They gave a very uncharacteristic fulsome apology in addition to allowing the appeal, I suspect it had happened to many others.

Blup

Pay to pay?

"There may, however, be another benefit to councils from a system that some find harder to use. Data obtained under freedom of information legislation earlier this year showed councils collected £158m of parking fines in areas that offered a cash option. In those that did not, the figure ballooned to £257m."
There is a transaction fee with the app.

So if the parking is £3 for 2 hours, the app will charge you £3.30 or something like that. You have the convenience of being able to top up remotely however.

Its well known that the "industry" would rather you didn't pay so they can fine you.

Take the Airport drop off charge. It could easily have used a toll both like they do in other countries, but they know people will forget and get walloped with an £80 "fine".

Tis all a rip off imo

Armies of dead beat Pencil pushers / paper shufflers sitting around dreaming up new ways ( scams) to rip you off

Had this payment caper ordering bits from the supplier of my kit car

Oh we don’t take cheques ( OK)

Oh you cannot ring us and order parts on the phone and pay by card

You will have to go on line and order off our website

What if I don’t have a computer ??

Well go to a relative / family member

All the above did me a favour tbh

Found the instrument supplier purchased instruments over phone
Saving £250

Found the supplier of the fuel tank payed on phone saving a whopping £425

Same with the radiator saving £123

Wiring loom saving over £200

Sent em an email thanking them for not accepting payment over the phone and saving me hundreds of pounds

W***ers :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Back