The best sat nav

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know the best sat nav in the market for it's price? which has a good signal strength?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Dont get a TOMTOM they are dog dump if i where you i would buy a MEDION THEY ARE 10/10 Aldi are doing one at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Have tried girlfriends tomtom several times on a route where I doubted I was doing the shortest route. In most cases it took me considerably longer. They are fine if you are hopelessly lost, apart from that they are Krrapppp
Will get a satnav myself when I know what a good one is. Guess that once you know the ones that don't work, any of the others will be a good choice

I too would say Garmin, mine lets you know in good time when to turn, unlike the daughters TomTom that waits till you are either at the turn off, or just past it!

Wotan

Have tried girlfriends tomtom several times on a route where I doubted I was doing the shortest route. In most cases it took me considerably longer. They are fine if you are hopelessly lost, apart from that they are Krrapppp
Will get a satnav myself when I know what a good one is. Guess that once you know the ones that don't work, any of the others will be a good choice

Get yourself to Aldi Ben, had a Medion from there a few years ago, very good until some scrote had it away. shortest and fastest settings in menu. very good and cheapo.

For me it has to be Garmin. We use them in our patrol cars after a long spell using Tomtom.

Garmin are now the world leaders in GPS devices and are used by the military, aviation etc. There are less updates with the Garmin units which is a good thing, Tomtom users report bugs and errors because of the amount of updates they have.

I think the set out and screen display is a little better with Tomtom, but for the actual purpose of the device which is GPS I would choose Garmin.

If you are just using it casually driving throughout the UK then just choose which features you prefer and go with that, there isnt a massive amount of difference

I have a RAC sat nav also has shortest & fastest route.
Never let me down yet.

For those with a sat nav already try http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/
Has free Points of interest downloads & their famous speed camera database, which you purchase for a small fee.

Get yourself to Aldi Ben, had a Medion from there a few years ago, very good until some scrote had it away. shortest and fastest settings in menu. very good and cheapo.

sounds good so far. have you ever tested them on a route you know to be the quickest and still used the satnav to see what it did?

I bought the traffic receiver as an upgrade for mine, it is quite useful if there is a jam ahead.

I got the European maps for mine on special offer as I sometimes drive abroad. It looks like you can use it hand-held as a pedestrian but I have not tried that.

I got the wider-screen XL version at extra cost because I thought it would be easier to read, but I don't look at it, I mostly just listen to the voice.

My TomTom has been told there are bad roadworks on the A3 and it takes me on a huge diversion to avoid them (even at night when the roads are fairly quiet)

There was a SatNav test review in "Which" this week. There were 17 best buys which is unusuial, for most products thgere are just a few clear winners.

They tested 79 so there are obviously some poor ones too.

Map book for £1.99 is the best direction finder in my car ;)

Map book for £1.99 is the best direction finder in my car ;)

i just can't concentrate on gatsometers AND read the map AND pick my nose AND flip the bird at traffic wardens all at the same time.
hurt my nose really badly the other day when i just tried to do the last 2 simultaneously.

I can't recommend which one to buy but I can say not to get a Navman F10 which is what I've got - seems to not always give the shortest/quickest route even when programmed to do so...

Example (for anyone who knows the route): Going from Brighton to Bristol (or Swindon etc, anywhere along the M4), the Navman wants me to stay on the M25 until the M4 junction. I happen to know the shortcut which is to come off for the M3 and cut across Bracknell/Bagshot way - when I do this the satnav does it's "Calculating Back-On-Track" and immediately 8 miles come off the distance and 2 minutes off the time so why not send me that way in the first place??? :evil:

Interesting that others are slating the Tom Tom as well, that's what I was going to replace with when cash allowed, might have to rethink that too and keep an eye on this thread for suggestions....

Sponsored Links
Back